Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Funcom plz tell why Most players have unaceptable pings

I've been tracing my signal, From My home, the signal goes to Oslo->Hamburg->Amsterdam->London->NY

But from my home to London it goes 2300 KM, while the direct line to London is only 1000 km, so my signal takes the milkroute basicly.

You have to wonder why my signal don't take the Norsea cable to London. I guess that's because my ISP is Telenor while that cable is owned by TeliaSonera.

So I would guess by switching ISP to Telia I can save over 1000km just to London. Or I can write to my ISP and check if it's possible for them to route my signal onto that cable, which I guess is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneScientius View Post
    I have played from South Africa for 3 years since RotGS came out with about an average 200ms – 250ms latency, going up to 300ms in prime time. This game is not Battlefield and it is possible to work around these delays.

The latency has had a significant effect on my build on the PvP server as I have had to boost my ability to tank to overcome the slight delays I have in reacting. This is also why I chose a tank as my main, but I wish to note that ranged seems to be okay with these latencies.

This really cracks me up. Why? Because PING shouldn't be a PROBLEM in a game.

You shouldn't have to base your class choice or feat build on what PING you have. Haha.

Edited by Arishanya to remove flaming/trolling. Read over the Social Guidelines before posting.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 15th May 2013 at 15:16.
    Harcesis - Guard
    Lomaxx - BS
    Scoobie - TOS
    Gammern - Necro

People should stop asking for old servers back.
    I believe it is just not so easy like clicking button. They probably rent servers from third party source (some one in stockholm with old EU servers) and now they have cut out their deal with "stockholm" and have chosen another "third party" server host. Real money has been paid from funcom to another company. And it might be some year or years that contract they have with that server host company

Thats how i think it is. They just cant move it back so easy.

I can be 100% wrong about this, but i bet i have atleast something right there

Also, you cannot fix that normal oversea latency problem with "patch", its same in every game which is being hosted from another "mainland/continent" (which one?). You can fix spikes and bad netcode, but not that 100/200 + latency

As for players, you either live with it or change the game. So easy
    Last edited by darknessjw; 15th May 2013 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by paulson View Post
    I've been tracing my signal, From My home, the signal goes to Oslo->Hamburg->Amsterdam->London->NY

But from my home to London it goes 2300 KM, while the direct line to London is only 1000 km, so my signal takes the milkroute basicly.

You have to wonder why my signal don't take the Norsea cable to London. I guess that's because my ISP is Telenor while that cable is owned by TeliaSonera.

So I would guess by switching ISP to Telia I can save over 1000km just to London. Or I can write to my ISP and check if it's possible for them to route my signal onto that cable, which I guess is not possible.
    Yeah well, that's a common issue and in some cases you can change your ISP/use a VPN or ask your ISP to reroute your traffic to help things a bit, but tbh I'm not sure you'd notice much difference. The laws of physics are such that a sub 100ms ping can barely be achieved by a bunch of euros with a very good ISP. I have played across the Atlantic with a sub 100ms ping before (fiber optic in Paris) and the delay is still very noticeable and very annoying in fast games (in my case that would be Quake, Unreal Tournament and such).
    Last edited by kalston; 15th May 2013 at 13:01.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

We know that the Stockholm servers were rented from a third party (I believe Craig or Waldgeist confirmed back in the day that it was Telia). So basically the European servers were a variable cost factor, with some form of recurring rental payments.

We also know that TSW is hosted only in the US, so Funcom either made some significant investments in building up their own infrastructure there, or entered into a contract with a third party host which presumably has some kind of minimum contract duration.

In addition, we know that the TSW architecture must be running way below expected load.

The rest is guessing, which I leave to you. But if you guess the same as I do, then EU servers will not be back unless player numbers increase exponentially. Sad but true.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Anybody know if anything changed after maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Yeah well, that's a common issue and in some cases you can change your ISP/use a VPN or ask your ISP to reroute your traffic to help things a bit, but tbh I'm not sure you'd notice much difference. The laws of physics are such that a sub 100ms ping can barely be achieved by a bunch of euros with a very good ISP. I have played across the Atlantic with a sub 100ms ping before (fiber optic in Paris) and the delay is still very noticeable and very annoying in fast games (in my case that would be Quake, Unreal Tournament and such).
    I have Telia on my phone so I just connected it to my computer and traced the signal, ofcourse that didn't help latency since I then run it over 3G. But what's intresting is that from Oslo it enters something called GameHost, and reappears at server location more or less......

Instead of beeing routed through 19 Servers with my normal ISP, I'm only routed through 11 with Telia. They appear to be routing game traffic into some special cable.

The best transatlantic cables have around 60ms of latency between shoring sites (uk and northwestern usa/canada), but I suspect ISPs arent paying for bandwidth on those. The bandwidth is probably much cheaper on the cables from the 1990s with ~100ms latency.

It's the finance and trading industry that's driving the development of faster transatlantic cables, they're willing to pay more for faster transatlantic communications than the subscribers i guess.

Factoring this and the distance+hops between my computer(norway) -> shoring site in the eu and shoring site in north america -> aoc server farm. 150 ms isn't that bad.

Packet Loss is a somewhat transparent factor for online gamers these days. In my experience you can have a stable 50ms ping and packet loss of ~5% will ruin your experience. On the other hand 150ms with < .1% packet loss should feel almost as smooth as a much lower ping. Im no expert but the biggest culprits for packet loss for a normal subscriber is gaming over wifi and weak signal or congested dsl lines to ISP gateway.
    Jou ppl need to undstand that it took great skill to play the Ranjor.please stop qq bout ranjor.

Quote Originally Posted by clenghat View Post
    Ok, so you are basically saying this game have become a ranged or tank class game only? Wich is the magic key to overcome the latency?

What about sin, barbs, hox? Should funcom just delete them, so there is no confusion?
    Not quite. I am saying that I have had to deal with what you are now complaining about for a while already. I didn't say it was good. Quit raging.
    I have a ranger that I played with my standard 250ms latency and it worked out fine. I killed conqs (pre-revamp) in melee at lvl 25 in Purple Lotus just fine.

I agree that posting the server to the US is a bit weird, since I understand that there are more EU players. But it is not a death sentence and you can still be competitive in PvP.
    I think I understand why FC did not want to unite the US and EU pops for single server tech.

A possible work-around (not sure if technically or commercially feasible) is using solid-state flash servers in the EU to distribute sync data quickly and a dedicated rented fibre connection from EU to the US servers to pipe the data back and forth.
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

It looks like this thread goes back to 2009 and has helped with latency issues. Some said it didn't help, can't hurt to try. It requires a windows registry change.

Hopefully this works for you!

http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduc...ge-1/#comments

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast