Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Funcom plz tell why Most players have unaceptable pings

Quote Originally Posted by paulson View Post
    There is nothing they can do really, those who live far away from the atlantic fiber optic lines will always have high latency.

If you live in England, Netherlands or Germany, then there is zero reason for why you don't have atleast 100 mS latency. When I use VPN services here from Norway which is far away from any direct line I get 110 mS latency.

So players in these 3 european countries should easily be able to get 100 or less. Check with your Isp, or consider switching Isp, or sign up to a VPN.

Astrill.com is a VPN that offers 7 days free trial.
    Sorry, just look at the german forum and the latencies listed there. Germany is not as developed concerning internet speed as you may think (as is great britain probably, i can imagine netherlands having better infrastructure though). Please don't spread this "less than 100ms" is possible stuff, because it ISN'T for the majority of germans (just as example: the major ISP service provider is limiting traffic on new contracts, there are BIG zones with less than 1000 kb/s connections (i had 300 kB/s once with DSL in a village) and only the main big cities can offer better).

There is nothing they can do really, those who live far away from the atlantic fiber optic lines will always have high latency.

If you live in England, Netherlands or Germany, then there is zero reason for why you don't have atleast 100 mS latency. When I use VPN services here from Norway which is far away from any direct line I get 110 mS latency.

So players in these 3 european countries should easily be able to get 100 or less. Check with your Isp, or consider switching Isp, or sign up to a VPN.

thats just not right. XD you cant be faster then around 100 ms from germany to US under perfect circumstances. its just not possible. this perfect circumstance dont take into account, that you will NEVER have a direct connection. you need to pass lots of hops before you even reach the cable passing the atlantic. every hop means increased latency.

me for example does have one of the best possible connections from germany to usi guess. i have 100mbit cable and living near frankfurt which should have more or less a direct connection to the us. my best ping is about 130. but its very unstable. in pvp its about 150-160 most of the time. and this wont get any better. funcom cant switch off physics...

There are plenty of reasons why few can have those 100ms. Norway is a very developped country with an extremely good network, it's also relatively small - fiber optic is widely accessible and in general people rarely live far from the nodes and the lines are rarely overloaded. France, UK, Germany etc are completely different.

Look at me, I live in a big French city and there is no fiber optic available - best I can get is ADSL with fastpath but I'm far from the DSLAM and my line is a bit poor (lots of errors) so I'd get packet loss and disconnections all the time and have to stick to interleave. My base ping to Paris is 45, so that's the lowest ping I can ever get anywhere. So since London/NY is 65ms (Paris/London = 5ms), I only get 115ms ping (which also means I do have PERFECT routing btw^^).

I'm sorry, I'm not going to install my own fiber optic at home just because Funcom decided to move AoC Eu servers to the US. I'm not going to move to Paris either. If I did I could have 80-90ms sure, but there is no ISP offering fiber optic where I live currently - not even for companies - so I would have to install my own line.

People who can get less than 100ms need to live in (or close to) hub cities (Paris, London etc) and to have access to fiber optic OR at least fastpath ADSL (only two providers offer this option in France FYI, and they only offer it if you live close enough to the DSLAM). Fiber optic and cable in France... meh let's not speak about that. Even in Paris coverage is so far from 100% it's not funny. Situation ain't much better in the Uk, Ireland or Germany.

In short, there's only a tiny minority that can get 100ms or less. Really tiny.
    Last edited by kalston; 16th May 2013 at 14:48.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Funcom

There is no need to jump on Arishanya as moderators are volunteers and can't be blamed for decisions we make.

Me however...

I've been avoiding posting because people need a few days to get used to things, but I will jump in here.

We moved the servers because:
    a) We had to do something about the long term viability of Conan as a financial product.
    b) We want to implement the single server tech to consolidate the player base.
    c) We believe that the overwhelming majority of the playerbase will not have a reduced experience because of this.

Let me be clear, this has been signed off by the tech leads, the operations leads and the the upper management layer. I was the biggest holdout in making the decision, because I am the guy who has to shoulder the blame for this.
    I agonized over it, because we can't change the speed of light and the additional MS will hurt some players and for others it doesn't matter if the difference is not noticeable, a perceived downgrade is still a downgrade.

In the end, I signed off on it because I do believe it is the only way forward for the changes that the community has asked for.

Why the US and not the EU? We pay for our server farm in the US and it supports AO, AoC and TSW. The US server farm has the newest hardware and it has more connection links than the EU servers. It is, in short, technologically superior.

I am not saying people don't have a right to post their opinions on this and if you only care about your experience playing AoC, I understand and apologize if this has impacted your experience. Unfortunately we have to make decisions so that we can keep these games and services running, and keep them financially viable in the long term.

I hope that clarifies my position on this and at least provides some of the reasoning behind it.

An addendum - lag spikes are not latency. We are actively working on removing the lag spikes from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    There is no need to jump on Arishanya as moderators are volunteers and can't be blamed for decisions we make.

Me however...

I've been avoiding posting because people need a few days to get used to things, but I will jump in here.

a) We had to do something about the long term viability of Conan as a financial product.
    c) We believe that the overwhelming majority of the playerbase will not have a reduced experience because of this.

Let me be clear, this has been signed off by the tech leads, the operations leads and the the upper management layer. I was the biggest holdout in making the decision, because I am the guy who has to shoulder the blame for this.
    I agonized over it, because we can't change the speed of light and the additional MS will hurt some players and for others it doesn't matter if the difference is not noticeable, a perceived downgrade is still a downgrade.

In the end, I signed off on it because I do believe it is the only way forward for the changes that the community has asked for.

Why the US and not the EU? We pay for our server farm in the US and it supports AO, AoC and TSW. The US server farm has the newest hardware and it has more connection links than the EU servers. It is, in short, technologically superior.

I am not saying people don't have a right to post their opinions on this and if you only care about your experience playing AoC, I understand and apologize if this has impacted your experience. Unfortunately we have to make decisions so that we can keep these games and services running, and keep them financially viable in the long term.

I hope that clarifies my position on this and at least provides some of the reasoning behind it.

An addendum - lag spikes are not latency. We are actively working on removing the lag spikes from the game.
    snip-!1!11!11
    Last edited by inventus; 16th May 2013 at 15:34.
    iGank

Me however...

What would you do against this issues and when? Or would you let it be like it is now?

Quote Originally Posted by Casie4President View Post
    What would you do against this issues and when? Or would you let it be like it is now?
    As there are no fix for this, since da internet doesn't travel in light speed.

If you've played a server in another game from the US or somewhere outside of EU, then we all from EU will have issues with MS.
    iGank

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Casie4President View Post
    No, we have a bunch of network layer rewrites that have been done to improve stability (see removing lag spikes) and we aim to reduce the general latency by improving the network code.

As I said though, we can't decrease the speed of light so some people will have high latency no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by inventus View Post
    So it is not noticeable?
    Read this sentence once more please:

"I agonized over it, because we can't change the speed of light and the additional MS will hurt some players and for others it doesn't matter if the difference is not noticeable, a perceived downgrade is still a downgrade."
    My main alts:
    Cylien Assassin - Whirlwind of death. As in dies a LOT
    Scythie Conqueror - And Petal her mammoth
    Karalee Guardian - "My sergeant says an army marches on it's belly. But I ain't never seen that! "Shakes her head vigorously"

Shameless self promotion
    http://www.reverbnation.com/charkoalmusic

How did you come up with c) ? "overwhelming majority of the playerbase will not have a reduced experience" come on...
    Even those who live in countries where they could get a decent latency don't all have the luxury of fiber optic and optimal routing. In fact very few do. I haven't seen many euros getting less than 100ms so far, even people from Ireland or the UK. It's possible, but it's not a widely accessible luxury.
    Last edited by kalston; 16th May 2013 at 15:28.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast