Thread: Returning Player from 3 Years Ago with Questions

Default Returning Player from 3 Years Ago with Questions

Hi, I have not played Age of Conan for quite some time now, specifically since 2010 I believe and I have a few questions.

First, If I subscribe with a premium membership, will I have access to all parts of the game, including expansions, or will I have to purchase the expansions separately? If I have to purchase them separately, can someone point me in the direction I need to go to do so?

Second, What classes are considered the most fun, not the most overpowered, just most fun? I understand this is subjective, but I am looking to play classes that seem to be most appealing to the player base as I typically enjoy those. I will base this on responses and do some research too to see what I would like.

Third, if I do a premium membership, are future upgrades/updates free, or will I have to pay for additional content like they do with DLC with Call of Duty etc?

That is all. Thanks for the responses in advance.

1. You need to buy expansions. You can buy them either here: www.ageofconan.com/itemstore or through in-game shop. You need to purchase funcom points through your account page first though.

2. IMO all AoC melee classes are fun. My most favourite ones are BS and Sin.

3. Last update (Secrets of Dragons's Spine) AFAIK is available to all premium subscribers without extra fees. What they will do in future? ...who knows

And welcome back! ;] I came back to AoC roughly after 3 years of inactivity myself and really enjoy my playtime in Hyboria

Quote Originally Posted by clocknane View Post
    First, If I subscribe with a premium membership, will I have access to all parts of the game, including expansions, or will I have to purchase the expansions separately? If I have to purchase them separately, can someone point me in the direction I need to go to do so?
    You have to buy the content. Then for some content, like Khitai, you ALSO have to go premium to get into the content.

Easiest route to buy the expansions is through the item store (in-game or on the official AoC website). But you can also find the Godslayer box pretty cheap online (e.g., Amazon) sometimes.
    Second, What classes are considered the most fun, not the most overpowered, just most fun? I understand this is subjective, but I am looking to play classes that seem to be most appealing to the player base as I typically enjoy those. I will base this on responses and do some research too to see what I would like.
    • Herald of Xotli are a blast. (Literally.) They are not the most popular class in terms of class pop, but if you like them, you love them. On the downside, they are fragile, and anything they can do in a group another class can do better and/or easier. But they are pure fun to solo if played as an AoE class like designed. Pulls last a few seconds and could be a 5-chain kill or a faceplant. Makes even grinding exciting.
    • Conquerors are very popular since their revamp. They do great DPS, have great utility in groups (rezzes, buffs), can make use of a great range of weapons and armor if collecting is your thing, they are welcome in both DPS and tanks/offtank roles, and they are just fun to play.
    • Dark Templars are also popular lately: good at tanking, good at DPS with AA feats.

Third, if I do a premium membership, are future upgrades/updates free, or will I have to pay for additional content like they do with DLC with Call of Duty etc? That is all. Thanks for the responses in advance.
    Based on past expansions: pay. The real question would be, will you also need to subscribe to get into what you've purchased (like Khitai), or does purchasing it give permanent access even if you go free-to-play again (like Turan)?

I came back after a long break too. Lots of people doing that lately, it seems like. Makes it nice when you have a dumb question.
    Last edited by Prima; 8th May 2013 at 19:50.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

First of all, welcome back! Much has changed since 2010.

I would like to add that AoC's 5th anniversary is comming up the 21st this month. This usually mean some good subscription offers including expansions and other goodies. Wait and see what it brings!
    Last edited by Foxcat; 9th May 2013 at 07:14.

Thanks for the replies. I have a few more questions now that you have answered some.

How many expansions are there total? How many do I have to buy to be able to level to max level?

Also, at what level would I need to purchase my first expansion to be able to progress? I assume 60, but not sure.

Second, if I choose to go from Premium to f2p, will I lose those expansions and have to buy them again if I decide to go back to premium?

Thanks again for the responses in advance.
    Last edited by clocknane; 8th May 2013 at 20:31.

First, I checked the Item shop/store and cannot find a category where I can buy Rise of the God Slayer or any other expansion, which brings me to my next question.
    I can't see them any more because I've purchased them, but I see Godslayer-related stuff under "Bundles" and Turan stuff under "Account & Character"
    How many expansions are there total? How many do I have to buy to be able to level to max level?
    Two. Neither are required to reach max level.
    • Savage Coast of Turan (which offers another zone for level 50-55 and another zone for well-geared level 80s, plus some dungeons and raids)
    • Rise of the Godslayer (which has a zone for level 20-40 and then many zones and dungeons for 80: i.e., the vast majority of the level 80 content in the game, basically).

Also, at what level would I need to purchase my first expansion to be able to progress? I assume 60, but not sure.
    Level 20-40 for the first Khitai zone, and level 50-55 for the first Turan zone. However, again, neither of those are "needed to progress." The only "must-have" expansion stuff is Godslayer at level 80 because there's nothing else meaningful to do at 80 but a couple old-world raids, and because of the AA system which is the main way to progress once you hit the cap. The Turan stuff is also nice at level 80 because it has a couple of the most fun and rewarding solo dungeons in the game.
    Second, if I choose to go from Premium to f2p, will I lose those expansions and have to buy them again if I decide to go back to premium?
    • Turan: You will still own and be able to enter and use normally even if you go back to free-to-play.
    • Godslayer: You will still own it but you will not be able to use until you go premium again. When you do go premium again, it will be right where you left it.
    Last edited by Prima; 8th May 2013 at 20:46.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    I can't see them any more because I've purchased them, but I see Godslayer-related stuff under "Bundles" and Turan stuff under "Account & Character"

Two. Neither are required to reach max level.
    • Savage Coast of Turan (which offers another zone for level 50-55 and another zone for well-geared level 80s, plus some dungeons and raids)
    • Rise of the Godslayer (which has a zone for level 20-40 and then many zones and dungeons for 80: i.e., the vast majority of the level 80 content in the game, basically).

Level 20-40 for the first Khitai zone, and level 50-55 for the first Turan zone. However, again, neither of those are "needed to progress." The only "must-have" expansion stuff is Godslayer at level 80 because there's nothing else meaningful to do at 80 but a couple old-world raids, and because of the AA system which is the main way to progress once you hit the cap. The Turan stuff is also nice at level 80 because it has a couple of the most fun and rewarding solo dungeons in the game.

• Turan: You will still own and be able to enter and use normally even if you go back to free-to-play.
    • Godslayer: You will still own it but you will not be able to use until you go premium again. When you do go premium again, it will be right where you left it.
    So, based on what you said, I only need Rise of the Godslayer to get to 60 for the new 20-40 zone?

I recall when I played when the game first launched (before my hiatus) that leveling beyond 40 was slow and grindy, is that still true?

Based on what I am seeing each expansion standard ed. is 1750 so 3500 total points which is 30 bucks. So, I could get both expansions for just 30 bucks, is this correct?

So, based on what you said, I only need Rise of the Godslayer to get to 60 for the new 20-40 zone?

I recall when I played when the game first launched (before my hiatus) that leveling beyond 40 was slow and grindy, is that still true?

Based on what I am seeing each expansion standard ed. is 1750 so 3500 total points which is 30 bucks. So, I could get both expansions for just 30 bucks, is this correct?
    As far as I know, the 20-40 zone in Hyrkania to be exaxt is F2P, and you dont need to buy ROTGS to access it.

50-80 is pretty easy these days, in fall 2008 they added Ymir's Pass 55-63 Zone, in 2009 they added Commons District in Tarantia, lvl 75-80.

Then in 2011 They added Turan, a lvl 50-54 zone. it's pretty easy to get to 80 these days, if you struggle on the last lvls,.. Just use offline levels if you got em.

I would ignore Turan till if you still play after three months. Godslayer is more than enough content to start with.