Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of videos would be most successful?

Default What kind of videos would be most successful?

To elaborate, what is most interesting to watch in terms of AoC content? Is it PvP, PvE, Lore? Would a full Let's Play of Age of Conan be worth watching or a complete waste of time?

I can speak for myself and say I'd watch any good video, but I'd also like to understand the community here and their thoughts on it. I hear there's a demand for AoC promotion, but I don't quite understand what type of promotion would be most suitable for example.

(Let's exclude trailers)

Player-made (Funcom-contest-driven?) non-trailers:
    • Walkthroughs of boss fights with captions and links
    • PVE feats (e.g., chain kills; pulling a whole camp for one of the Khitai kill quests; speed runs, etc.)
    • "Quests/locations you've probably never seen (but wouldn't take the time to do yourself)": e.g., the Conan-kills-your-Khitai-PC quest; the guard's lover quest in the back of Tortage's Acheronian ruins; etc.)
    • I'm surprised that RPers don't do more scripted event videos.

It'd be fun to have contests along these lines, or to put together a compilation video from the efforts of several people (e.g., a tank, DPS, and healer submit video of a boss fight; someone edits it to a 2 minute video with links to wiki pages or forum threads with more detail).
    Last edited by Prima; 8th May 2013 at 18:48.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrayC View Post
    To elaborate, what is most interesting to watch in terms of AoC content? Is it PvP, PvE, Lore? Would a full Let's Play of Age of Conan be worth watching or a complete waste of time?

I can speak for myself and say I'd watch any good video, but I'd also like to understand the community here and their thoughts on it. I hear there's a demand for AoC promotion, but I don't quite understand what type of promotion would be most suitable for example.

(Let's exclude trailers)
    Depends of the targeted audience.

I think classic Pvp videos are usually less attracting for people who don't play the game yet. Simply because most of the time, you post PVP video to show off some impressive skills in mastering on class or using unusual technique. For the guy who don't know the game, it's very confusing, he don't know where to look at on the screen. Huge scale PVP might be more interesting on the other hand (Look, siege are awesome, or whatever).

It's only my opinion, but I think it's the same for mass PVE/raid. Too much informations input on the screen = less visibility = too confusing for non-player. Except once again if you show something special, like a puzzle in the middle a raid, or the King Conan decapitating Thoth-Amon with the rest of the raid.

If you target "new potential player", the simplest is usually the most appeling. I remember a movies showing a compilation of Barbarian Fatalities. With some catchy music in the background. It was nice, HD, showing the good animation of aoc and the fatalities we all love. Nothing to fancy, but that's the video that convince some of my friends to give it a try. Same comments apply for the good video showing a bit of lore, of good-looking landscape with great ambiant light or DX10 effect with nice music.

On the other hand, if you target AoC player or hardcore playing from other mmo, you probably will have to show something more complex and interesting, like a very difficult fight, complex teamplay, or interesting random fact about the lore, or some less explored place people usually don't go. I would like to see new things about the game and learn some random useless facts.

Sorry to bring up another game's videos to compare to, but maybe worth checking out for some ideas.
    World of Tanks has some wonderful company produced videos. Whenever a new feature is added to the game, like a new tank or map, the company will include with the patch notes a video introduction of the new feature. Explains in pretty good detail what the new features will bring to the game and how to use those new features.
    It is brillant.

As far as what I look for when browsing vids... I enjoy watching walk-through videos and encounter videos. My favorite AoC videos to this day are the AoC Roleplayin' video series. Truly epic!

The ideal video i would enjoy the most would be a mix of PvP and RP vid'. Not necessarily showing off impressive skills or at least not alone but also try to tell something. Be it a glimpse of your toons Background if you are an RPer aswell as PvPer or i dunno ...

But i guess that's because i'm a repented RPer and a convinced PvPer...
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    Player-made (Funcom-contest-driven?) non-trailers:
    ...I'm surprised that RPers don't do more scripted event videos...
    That would require most RPers to leave the comfort zone of their personal circle of friends. Or maybe it would require more RPers.
    -There are things in the deep desert that could not be imagined even in the nightmares of a thousand madmen.-

Funcom

You know what?

I am really surprised that nobody has actually tried to make a machinima of one of the Howard Stories (correction - that I know of. Possible I missed something). You can make characters that look close to Conan from the books. Monsters and locations abound.

I'd be willing to pay good Funcom points to see that...

Maybe we should organize a film competition?

Give me no_clip and no_gravity or some sort of spectator-ish mode to watch from other players perspective for a day and I could make some sweet ass videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Maybe we should organize a film competition?
    "Best illustration of a scene from lore?" That'd be kind of a blast.

There used to be some tutorials out there on Age of Conan machinima. Here's one vid that google turned up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T27wF18-ZE
    Last edited by Prima; 8th May 2013 at 23:44.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

maybe some funny things like
    bryan the necromancer and story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHqUi1NND48

not necessary so long

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast