Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I get agro?

Quote Originally Posted by Boesch View Post
    It's the above attitude that to me kills raids and 6mans. It's the attitude that everyone else must play to the ineptitude of the tank, and there is no responsibility on the tank to do their job.
    i did said, not all fights!!!
    i will give some examples:
    - on the yahkmar fight, when a tank, SIMPLY IRRITATES one add then runs away from yahkmar to place adds all together in one spot so they can be killed "faster", tank looses aggro while the worm is still on is way and didnt reach the tank position yet, is the tank's fault??? (after the worm is in position is diferent)
    - Against the sister in malice, if a tank looses aggro, the fault might be the tank, because in this case, the damage from bosses is little and the point is keeping them busy, so HERE YOU THROUGH everything you have to hold aggro on a sister (even use frenzy stance)
    - against the crabs in ardashir, throw all aggro tools and tell what happens, because i dont know
    - against thoth-amon, if he is attacking you, through all your aggro tools at him the whole fight then tell me if you survived as boss target the whole time!!!
    - in HoC try solo tanking the artificier if someone on group fails to use the forge as intended, then report

many other examples....

as i said and repeat to OP, try practicing with people that you know and have some kind of exp, that way you will know better who's fault is, even the rest of the group says it

P.S.: once with a friend of mine (DT full geared and AA, plus lots of exp) i stole aggro more than once with my barb on the same boss, who's fault was it???? (i tell you later if you want to know, and by the way we wont the fight with no wipe )
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 3rd May 2013 at 19:02.

Some really good advice here, guys - thanks a ton! Reworked my feats, got some decent gear from Atzel's Fortress last night.. and starting to make some headway!

Yes, very nice thread indeed. I am slowly working my way to level 80 and wanted to make sure I have the correct feats and moves to hold aggro and survive almost every fight thrown my way . Very nice advice folks, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    i did said, not all fights!!!
    i will give some examples:
    - on the yahkmar fight, when a tank, SIMPLY IRRITATES one add then runs away from yahkmar to place adds all together in one spot so they can be killed "faster", tank looses aggro while the worm is still on is way and didnt reach the tank position yet, is the tank's fault??? (after the worm is in position is diferent)
    - Against the sister in malice, if a tank looses aggro, the fault might be the tank, because in this case, the damage from bosses is little and the point is keeping them busy, so HERE YOU THROUGH everything you have to hold aggro on a sister (even use frenzy stance)
    - against the crabs in ardashir, throw all aggro tools and tell what happens, because i dont know
    - against thoth-amon, if he is attacking you, through all your aggro tools at him the whole fight then tell me if you survived as boss target the whole time!!!
    - in HoC try solo tanking the artificier if someone on group fails to use the forge as intended, then report

many other examples....

as i said and repeat to OP, try practicing with people that you know and have some kind of exp, that way you will know better who's fault is, even the rest of the group says it

P.S.: once with a friend of mine (DT full geared and AA, plus lots of exp) i stole aggro more than once with my barb on the same boss, who's fault was it???? (i tell you later if you want to know, and by the way we wont the fight with no wipe )
    My hero! Can't wait to be in a raid with you post server merge.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

A quick update:

Thanks so much for the input guys, it was all extremely useful (even the advice I won't be taking). I am now premium, have tanked a few 6-mans now, including off-tanking some Khitai HM's - I am still very under-geared, but having a lot of positive reinforcement from my guildies (and friends) makes it a fun learning experience. I'm doing pretty well now that I have feated correctly, and got the right skills on my bars... imagine forgetting Cry of Havoc (guilty - oops!).

Again, thanks for the input - what a wonderful Guardian community we have =)

Misscreantt (another dude playing with barbies)

BTW, don't spam irritate. Irritate triggers a re-evaluation of the aggro list both at use and when the "irritating" aggro wears off. At those two points, whoever is on top of the aggro list will get aggro, even with 1 point in hate over the 2nd on the aggro list. It simply ignores the 10% difference rule. You may keep aggro better against other soldier by spamming it (since you're the one timing it on top of other bursts), but overall the aggro level *may* be lower, since your DPS classes can't play with the 9% overhead they can if noone uses irritate. Tho, this may be a lost case, since in every raid and everywhere there's other soldiers, someone *will* spam it, and hence the point is gone.. Anyway, ignore my post
    Skrymirne/Skrymirna/Skrymirni(Guards) Hildrida/Toireasa/Nudde(Conqs) Radgrid/Eirne/Ciannait/Boudicia(DTs)
    Crudelita/Cruelida(Barbs) Sindarilla/Cliodhna/Noinin/Fionuir(Sins) Pinnesenida(Ranger)
    Nuadhu/Maihread(Poms) Toselita(Tos) Qtie/Macushla(BS)
    Livtrasir(Necro) Helsvitje(Demo) Niuth/Niuthiune(Hoxes)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorn View Post
    BTW, don't spam irritate. Irritate triggers a re-evaluation of the aggro list both at use and when the "irritating" aggro wears off. At those two points, whoever is on top of the aggro list will get aggro, even with 1 point in hate over the 2nd on the aggro list. It simply ignores the 10% difference rule. You may keep aggro better against other soldier by spamming it (since you're the one timing it on top of other bursts), but overall the aggro level *may* be lower, since your DPS classes can't play with the 9% overhead they can if noone uses irritate. Tho, this may be a lost case, since in every raid and everywhere there's other soldiers, someone *will* spam it, and hence the point is gone.. Anyway, ignore my post
    Point well taken - I knew Goad wiped the agro list, I wasn't aware that Irritate did also. Good to know =)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrynn View Post
    Point well taken - I knew Goad wiped the agro list, I wasn't aware that Irritate did also. Good to know =)
    Goad doesn't wipe the aggro list, it puts on top of the aggro list, but unless you do something to stay there, you won't.

http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=57878
    Kentegern - Conqueror
    Seoc - Bear Shaman

Ziezin - Demonologist
    Thutkemi - Assassin

"Grammar is the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Goad doesn't wipe the aggro list, but it does put the person on top, as the above post mentioned.

BUT!

It also makes the bad guy ignore other soldiers.

So when this happens person A is tanking, person B sucks but uses goad. Person B can't keep it because they suck, person A is screwed because person B was a noob. And person C "healer/dps" pulls aggro and dies.

The above is the situation that happens when noobs use goad.

As far as the person talking about irritate wiping aggro etc. I need to reread what your saying but from what I gathered so far, it's rubbish.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Agro lists never clear (except some specific mobs who do funky agro things by themselves). Goad instantly gives you enough agro to get at top but won't keep you there, Forced Engage forces target to attack you for a few seconds with no actual change to agro list, Irritate just gives you some more points of agro. "Decaying agro" or whatever it actually says in tooltip is poppycock far as I know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast