Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear won't matter anymore?

Aww I rather like the balance buff in TSW while playing on my baby Dragon. Used to batter purple geared players q10 with green q5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    When you see it, you'll **** bricks.

Thank you for your answer, hope it works.
    lol, fake quote ftw.

When Unchained minigames are released, there really needs to be an option for PvE gear also. With all classes and archetypes in full PvP gear, soldiers will dominate even more than they already do. Rogues and mages need the extra DPS from PvE gear to have a chance of burning them down in any reasonable amount of time, especially if they're in full PvP gear.

At the same time, I feel like the Unchained system needs to be limited enough that people will still do standard minigames. There will be no sense of progression otherwise, and many players won't bother doing any PvE anymore since a LOT do it mainly for the PvP incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by Balacai View Post
    many players won't bother doing any PvE anymore since a LOT do it mainly for the PvP incentives.
    really?? lol at this.
    Rogue Angels Guild Leader and Progression Raid Leader
    http://rogueangels.guildlaunch.com

Tmanku 80 Guard | Tmanil 80 ToS | Tmanosu 80 DT | Tmanbank 80 BS | Tmanfu 80 Demo | Tmanwu 80 Ranger | Tmanpope 80 PoM | Tmanpointy 80 Sin | Tmanbarb 80 Barb | Tmanfire 80 HoX | Tmannecro 80 Necro | Tmanblade 80 Conq | Tmanlite 80 Guard | Tmantosjr 80 Tos | Tmandemojr 80 Demo | Tmanthethird Saga Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Balacai View Post
    When Unchained minigames are released, there really needs to be an option for PvE gear also. With all classes and archetypes in full PvP gear, soldiers will dominate even more than they already do. Rogues and mages need the extra DPS from PvE gear to have a chance of burning them down in any reasonable amount of time, especially if they're in full PvP gear.

At the same time, I feel like the Unchained system needs to be limited enough that people will still do standard minigames. There will be no sense of progression otherwise, and many players won't bother doing any PvE anymore since a LOT do it mainly for the PvP incentives.
    Where is Balacai and what have you done with him? You of all people I would expect to support skill based PvP in ANY form over what we have now. My world view has been destroyed. We're all gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    Where is Balacai and what have you done with him? You of all people I would expect to support skill based PvP in ANY form over what we have now. My world view has been destroyed. We're all gonna die.
    I think he wasn't talking about himself but of the average joe (and if we are to believe the surveys then yes, the majority are pvers or semi-pvpers and love gear/power progression).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Not in all PvP. In specifically chosen PvP. Basically you will be able to choose between skill-based or gear based PvP.

Giving people more options is always better than removing options.
    I can understand the reason for doing this, but I feel it comes at a heavy cost to those who took the current system as is and worked with it for years. I mean I did a LOT of work to get the resources to compete in pvp and it gave me a great deal of satisfaction to figure out what gear to get and how to get it- not because I like grinding endlessly, but because I set goals and accomplished them. Now all of that is out the door.

The problem is this- Skill Based mode will replace the normal mini queue. Gear Based mode will be just as vacant as Tournament Mode and a LOT of people will feel like all their hard work was a HUGE waste of time. Sure I think skill is a better factor to go by, but you know it will take LESS skill to defeat an opponent with equal gear right?

Solution- Either move Skill-Based mode as an option under Tournament Mode, so you force under-geared players to form a group first, or increase the rewards for Gear-Based mode DRAMATICALLY (like 2.5x reward), because it'll be harder to compete with unbalanced gear. I get a great deal of satisfaction beating a PvP10 player with my epic/blue gear. I wouldn't want to miss out on that and have boring vanilla combat.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 1st May 2013 at 02:47.
    Jasmina - Assassin
    Ozmodan - Barbarian
    Balauh - Necromancer
    Kodiax - Bear Shaman
    Nadomzo - Demonologist

Quote Originally Posted by tman1991 View Post
    really?? lol at this.
    Uhm YEAH. Unless you enjoy sitting in 6man/raid groups for hours on end and are too afraid to pvp.

PvE gear beats PvP gear, so you PvE to PvP effectively (unless you're PvP10).
    Jasmina - Assassin
    Ozmodan - Barbarian
    Balauh - Necromancer
    Kodiax - Bear Shaman
    Nadomzo - Demonologist

Quote Originally Posted by Thutkemi View Post
    If you unlock a full AA tree and full PVP 10 gear for all players in the match, then you have each class at its maximum potential and you can balance for that, as opposed to the myriad of variables introduced in the current minigame (and PVP overall) balancing scheme. Of course, that would then be contingent on PVE gear and weapons not being available to wear in those matches. I would think that, once you have levelled the gear/AA playing field, it would be a bit easier to get an idea of how to balance classes for PVP.
    Well you may be right about needing to have full AA/gear to figure out how to balance groups, but once you figure out the right group balance, that's all you really need.

If they figure out how to code the right group combinations taking into account their class/gear, they don't really need to provide everyone every ability and equal gear by default. We don't want vanilla combat. I don't mind fighting an unskilled player with uber gear. I do mind fighting with unbalanced groups.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 1st May 2013 at 03:10.
    Jasmina - Assassin
    Ozmodan - Barbarian
    Balauh - Necromancer
    Kodiax - Bear Shaman
    Nadomzo - Demonologist

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    I support balanced skill-based PvP. It won't be balanced if all classes are in PvP 10 gear. Soldiers have a HUGE advantage above all other archetypes/classes when they're all decked in PvP 10 gear. DPS classes need PvE gear to have the DPS to make them worth playing over a soldier.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast