Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear won't matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    It would be nice if he answer this, also, are you going to REMOVE gear stats or just make a regular gear for each class?

As many people said in this thread, AA kinda balanced most classes and gave specific roles that shouldn't be changed right now, so it would be nice if you give more infos about AAs.

If everything being asked here is already in the letter from the game director, well then, lets just wait.

I hope to see competitive PvP after all changes made to pvp. You can get all you need by doing the "unchained pvp" and then fight for honor and rewards (vanity, of course).
    removing gear completly would also remove critigation and tenacity which both have pretty big impact on pvp.

I am very sceptical about this content but I will hold my opinions till more info is released.

I just remember than when tournament went live it was supposed to be about "bragging rights". If the unchained mode is also about "bragging rights" ... damn I just hope there is more to it than equal gear/AA + same maps + GO!
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    You are obviously NOT a pvp minded player. One of the biggest reasons for the deserted servers is bar to entry in PvP and the gear dependence. I have played this game from DAY ONE. I know what the original vision of the game was before 1.05. When they made gear matter in PvP, that was the beginning of the end for PvP. The game was never finished, and PvP was never perfect, but it was at least headed in a better direction before the gear overhaul. At least back then people PvPed because it was fun, and anyone could do it without having to spend months grinding for gear first.
    I agree here completely

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    I for one (and I believe I represent a large portion of the PvP community) think that if they are going to put and "unchained" option for mini games, they should do the same for open world zones and sieges as well. Then just modify the PvP rewards to ranks and vanity items. If they do that, we can all sit back and watch the subs pour back in. I guarantee it.

What you asking here essentially is to go back to pre-1.05, almost. I'd love to see this, but can see Funcom not going ahead on the account of butt hurt PvPers. but when it comes down to it, would you rather sacrifice a few to save many, or save the few and have everyone suffer? I think Funcom needs to ask themselves this.

What Funcum currently portrays to myself, is to be good at PvP you must invest hours and hours. or in other words if you're currently a good PvPer you have no life bar work and AOC or just have no job. Now that essentially making AOC's target audience people with no or little money. Has this shown to be true? The company is doing terrible financially.

Funcom, the people with jobs, families, hobbies and other activities that pose time restraints on play time want to PvP and experience everything the game has to offer. With the current model that just simply isn't possible and YOU have cut us out of AOC. Then you wonder why subs keep diminishing and why the company is falling over.

Two words: "TARGET AUDIENCE".
    Last edited by McFiend; 29th April 2013 at 22:46.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    It would be nice if he answer this, also, are you going to REMOVE gear stats or just make a regular gear for each class?

As many people said in this thread, AA kinda balanced most classes and gave specific roles that shouldn't be changed right now, so it would be nice if you give more infos about AAs.

If everything being asked here is already in the letter from the game director, well then, lets just wait.

I hope to see competitive PvP after all changes made to pvp. You can get all you need by doing the "unchained pvp" and then fight for honor and rewards (vanity, of course).
    I will give you more details when we are completely done with the design.

We are experimenting with it right now - but we aren't just going to remove all stats or anything. We need to find a good balance which we feel works.

TSW has an "equal footing" buff which was, in terms of making things balanced, a massive failure. We are approaching this in a different way and hopefully learning from some of the mistakes of the past.

Unchained minigames are great for
    - casual players
    - players who don't like to farm 100s of hours to be competitive
    - players with several level 80 chars, and like to play twinks in PvP
    - new, unexperienced players

So Unchained minis is very likely to appeal to a lot of people, who don't do PvP nowadays.

----------------------------------------

I'd wish Funcom would also think about actions to improve
    the group-oriented gameplay within the minigames.
    Personally I got sick of players who don't give a damn about the group goals (flag carrying, flag defence etc), instead just play their personal deathmatch game for the stats.

So the only thing I can think of right now, to improve group-oriented gameplay, is to remove any "kill" stats from Unchained Minigames (the kill list after the minigame finished).

Perhaps there are other things as well for to encourage group-oriented gameplay?

since this a pvp thread and game director replies :P I wanted to ask if there is gonna be an option in near future (and i mean near not in 1-2 years ) to be able to sign with 1 friend in minies
    Last edited by jenyu; 30th April 2013 at 10:54.
    Jenyu - Assassin
    Lutheor - Herald Of Xotli
    Destiny

"Now you see me, now you don't"

Someone on the old forums had an idea about a general pvp item tab (like the vanity tab), that would set your pvp stats (and would even work for open world pvp).
    I guess this would be ideal for what you have in mind, because you could just temporarily fill it with the gear appropiate for the minigame. This way you could not just create minigames "unchained" with maxxed gear, but also tournaments with given gear or iron dome like survival pvp with no starter gear.
    That you are even experimenting with something like a "equal footing" buff, is kind of discomforting
    Concerning AA, just disable all perk slots and grey them during the mini OR find a way to temporarily buff all AA to maxx (imo more difficult).
    The solution for "playing with friends" would be just to remodel the rarely used tournament mode back into the old system without "balancing" algorithm...this way it can still be used for what it is now (friendly pvp raids, just without the rejoin error) and allow for playing with friends, while not really removing any content.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 30th April 2013 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlekin View Post
    I'd wish Funcom would also think about actions to improve
    the group-oriented gameplay within the minigames.
    Personally I got sick of players who don't give a damn about the group goals (flag carrying, flag defence etc), instead just play their personal deathmatch game for the stats.

So the only thing I can think of right now, to improve group-oriented gameplay, is to remove any "kill" stats from Unchained Minigames (the kill list after the minigame finished).

Perhaps there are other things as well for to encourage group-oriented gameplay?
    I don't think that removing kills is a good idea. Just think about how much removing visible K/Ds from characters helped (not at all). I'd be very surprised if your suggestion would make any difference at all.

But there's a few things which could be implemented in order to encourage playing for the team:

1. The most obvious choice is to allow people to play with their friends. Ofc there's a high risk of good players steamrolling PUGs. But I believe that this will be less of an issue in "level playing field" minis, since vets will lose their gear / AA advantage. And if they win by superior skill and coordination - well, hats off to them.

2. Another idea would be to adjust the rewards for the losing team, based on how close they were to achieving the game objective (i.e. skulls captured in HV, LT, BR; Totem % in TT; and points in JS). This would encourage good players on the losing side to help their team, instead of chasing cheap kills while the rest of the team gets farmed. [Side note: It's a bit more difficult to think of incentives for fully geared pvp level 10 players. Maybe something could be done in terms of pvp crafting items when the revamp goes live, but I guess this would be much more difficult to design]

3. Obviously, including new stats (rather than deleting the KD stat at the end of the minigame) would also encourage players to play for the team. There's plenty of suggestions for this on the forums.

4. One more fundamental point is that players are more likely to cooperate if the map design actually encourages cooperative gameplay. The capture the skull maps aren't bad in this regard, but JS is a big fail compared to other "capping" based maps such as WoW's Arathi Basin, which are far better at encouraging spontaneous cooperation. But this isn't something which can be changed easily, ofc.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgon View Post
    Mini Games were originally just that. A small game that you could play here and there to change things up.

Mini Games was never meant to be, or ever should be our main pvp content. We need open world pvp brought back to life.
    Funcom needs to stop looking towards mini games any time they finally decide to work on pvp!
    This

/10chr

If you unlock a full AA tree and full PVP 10 gear for all players in the match, then you have each class at its maximum potential and you can balance for that, as opposed to the myriad of variables introduced in the current minigame (and PVP overall) balancing scheme. Of course, that would then be contingent on PVE gear and weapons not being available to wear in those matches. I would think that, once you have levelled the gear/AA playing field, it would be a bit easier to get an idea of how to balance classes for PVP.
    Kentegern - Conqueror
    Seoc - Bear Shaman

Ziezin - Demonologist
    Thutkemi - Assassin

"Grammar is the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    TSW has an "equal footing" buff which was, in terms of making things balanced, a massive failure. We are approaching this in a different way and hopefully learning from some of the mistakes of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    TSW has an "equal footing" buff which was, in terms of making things balanced, working as intended. We are approaching this in a different way and hopefully learning from some of the mistakes of the past.
    When you see it, you'll **** bricks.

Thank you for your answer, hope it works.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast