Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear won't matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Cromathaar View Post
    Grindfest is any MMO's core even if it is masked. Are you against tons of quests that you had to do until you reached level 80 and still have to do after? Are you against of continuous raiding in order to get an item set? Are you against dungeons, bosses, maybe experience itself? You should play another type of games then. A single-player Conan maybe?

It's not really my priority to spend my time in arguing to a person who doesn't really understand wthat game he is playing and what fundamental rules and laws form a basement of the genre. No offence.
    But you seem to have time to make this personal. Coming from a person who seems unable or unwilling to come up with a consistent position ("grind is bad!", "removing grind is also bad!") I shall take this as a compliment. No offence.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Mini Games were originally just that. A small game that you could play here and there to change things up.

Mini Games was never meant to be, or ever should be our main pvp content. We need open world pvp brought back to life.
    Funcom needs to stop looking towards mini games any time they finally decide to work on pvp!

Maybe if Funcom gives some kind of open world pvp system or incentive we will see pvp'ers back on Tyranny once again.
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgon View Post
    Mini Games were originally just that. A small game that you could play here and there to change things up.

Mini Games was never meant to be, or ever should be our main pvp content. We need open world pvp brought back to life.
    Funcom needs to stop looking towards mini games any time they finally decide to work on pvp!

Maybe if Funcom gives some kind of open world pvp system or incentive we will see pvp'ers back on Tyranny once again.
    yes aoc needs open world pvp content
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Wait, did you just argue that (i) all of FC's design choices making pvp a grindfest are bad, but that (ii) making pvp less of a grindfest would also be bad?

Truth is, some people who are competitive only because they have grinded would probably be unhappy with the new, optional "Unchained" queue.

On the other hand, the new system would benefit
    (i) hardcore PvPers who view PvP as something like an esports competition;
    (ii) casual players who'd like to engage in pvp now and then, but don't want to invest the time which is currently required to become competitive;
    (iii) new and returning players who (irrespective of whether they are "hardcore" or "casual") face a very significant gear / AA gap as things stand now.

It's a tough choice, I know
    This 100x It benefits the majority of the population and again you can still open world, regular mini and PVE with the gear you worked for. I don't understand how anyone can argue against this

Edit* We need open world pvp content
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Removing gear bonusses from PvP-Combat may be a good idea. But please, don't repeat the mistake of making group-based minigames optional and remove all the rewards.

If non-gear PvP will be an option for existing minigames (or introduce a new map without gear stats), then let the rewards (PvP-XP, AA-XP etc.) be identical (or even higher) to those in gear-based PvP.

This way, you should get a two-tier minigame community:
    - a "pro" tier with gear stats, where only the foolhardy or those "pro" gamers with maxed out bori gear hang out
    - a "noob"* tier without gear stats, where the undergeared or bored "pro" gamers will compete on a fair level

That would be a good thing. Two-tier-minigames have been proposed several times (eg. PvP-levels 0-4 and 5-10), and this system would even be better. Players with high levels would be free to join the "noob" tier, and PvE gear wouldn't imbalance the "noob" tier minigames.

But please, please, please, don't remove or reduce the rewards from the "noob" tier. That would force players to play in the "pro" tier anyhow if they ever wanted to move forwards gear- or AA-wise. The gear-less minigames would then stay deserted, just as the group-based minigame option is hardly (if ever) used now.

Thus, two birds with one stone.

*This is not meant to be insulting. I'd consider myself a candidate for the "noob" tier.
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 29th April 2013 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgon View Post

Yes ! Open-World PVP !
    Unchained minis isn't fondamentely a bad idea BUT it's still minis and it will still be mostly pug. And it will still be maps with ran through thousands of times since 2008. I want to fight in open-world !
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Really? Don't you see that minigames are the last piece of competitive PvP in the game? Sieges are dead since they don't really give any meaningful rewards anymore (not to mention eternal lag/crash issues), open world PvP is dead from the very beginning since there are no open-world PvP objectives, Bori mechanics was (and is) a total fail. PvP levels and PvP gear were a crunch made in rush on summer 2008 to give people at least *some* reasonable motivation to do PvP. Then FC just cut out premades. Can one play with a couple of friends if they want to do some *team-based structured PvP*? The answer is no. You need to get 6 ppl group, find another 6 ppl group on a deserted server (and yes, 500 ppl online *is* a deserted server) and then you can play a couple of matches. The system is *so* cool that there are barely 10-15 *matches* per week on Fury. That was a punch in the face but most people kept playing farming PvP experience and PvP tokens (which were brought to the game after Bori has failed, remember?). Cheaters with combers, radars and speedhacks? It was (and still is, let's be honest) hard but they still could stand that. Now you want to say that their time (which is payed subscription time mostly) doesn't matter?

People are always trying to find the easiest way. Sometimes it is called exploiting but it's natural to any human. A monkey used a stick for the very first time because of the same reason. You've brought people the opportunity to dig PvP levels out instead of fighting (hello, Bori). Two options are better than one, right? 90% of players preferred to dig. 5am when there was almost noone online - the best time for digging it was. Some even transferred to deserted Hyrkania in order to dig peacefully just to transfer back having 10 PvP lvls and tons of tokens.

And what now? You give people another easy way to play minis. No more raiding, Khitai or minis itself (or even digging!) are required. Cool! There is SO MUCH MOTIVATION around Hyboria for PvP. Why would anyone care about PvP levels and PvP gear turning into pumpkins? Oh wait... farming PvP levels and gear WAS almost the only motivation for PvP in Hyboria... That awkward moment when you realize that your lead PvP designer is a retard...

^ PVErs mindset. Skill based PVP is ALWAYS better than power creep PVP.

Wow, that would be a great sport when you have 3 "casuals" and 2 "returning players" in your team. What you should understand is that it's totally not about sport. It's about easing life of "casuals" and "returners". But why the hell is their life being eased on account of more experienced players? They are not "veterans" just because they look at Conan's poster on a wall for three hours a day. They play, they spend their time, they improve their skills (human skills like understanding of the game, reaction, etc.), they pay their money for subscription, so on. And one day a new GD comes and says that those last loyal AoC supporters spent their time and money for nothing? It's MMO - who plays more gets more. If you want "all-equal" gameplay buy Forge or any other session-based game.

Again, I'm not against unchained minis themselves. I'm against removing almost the only meaningful PvP content from the game (even if it is a grindfest, grindfest is better than nothing, agree?) without giving a better ot at least equal alternative. PvP levels are stupid, PvP gear is stupid, even minis are stupid, but it's the last stronghold this game has left in case of meaningful PvP.

Be a realist, how long will you wait for ppl to sign up for minis if there would be not only 6 maps but also two modes for each of them? Especially when no "casual" or "returner" or "slacker" would sign up for a classic mini 'cause they would have much better chances in unchained. Classic minis will die as fast as group-based minis did after FC has released so called "tournament" mode.
    Gear does not equate Experience.

Sorry. Case in point, equalize gear across the board to make it balanced and skill based, and you have a big issue with that. Why? Because you rely on your gear as a crutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Not in all PvP. In specifically chosen PvP. Basically you will be able to choose between skill-based or gear based PvP.

Giving people more options is always better than removing options.
    Each time FC makes a step and divides the community , FC does so with the hope that the divided sets will reproduce . Maybe my mathematics are poor compared to yours , maybe my probability theory is also bad , but tell me how many times the fresh sets managed to reproduce?! If they didnt manage so , what were the consequenses?!

You're trying to create a GW-like pvp crowd that will log and have pvp as main focus while accessing and consuming buffs from store. The basis of this idea is not bad , but tell us further axioms pls!

Isolation of sub-sets is risky . I hope your choices will be wise and luck on yours and ours side.
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*