Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Gear won't matter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Cromathaar View Post
    This is a MMORPG game not a session-based game like Dota. MMORPGs are about making progress OR competing. AoC has neither ingame nor outgame tools for competing: no ladders, no rankings, even KD scores have been removed from public access. Adding Unchained ruleset for minis will remove the progress and still bring no tools for competition. Just like when Tournament mode was released. Did it make AoC a cybersport discipline? The effect was right the opposite. No progress + no competiotion = failure.

Funcom listenes to whines from PvE servers all the way long when it comes to PvP. I personally have no idea why. At first there were a lot of guards added everywhere, then Tortage was locked for PvP, then they've invented their great "dig instead of fight" mechanics for Bori, then they removed premades from classic minigames and now this Unchained mode. Every move is directed to satisfy "moooom, i play 10 minutes a week and i'm killed agaaaaain, it's just not faaaaaaareee, it's all because they have better geeeeear and higher leeeevel and a preeeeeemade and ventreeeeeeelooo, mooooom doooo sooomething!" guys.

Funcom should better concentrate on fixing its network code which allows speedhacks and combers as well as drawing any gear and any number of tokens for any character.

All above is my personal opinion. You may agree with it or you may not.
    Gear power creep in PVP is designed for PVE players. To think it is not, and that skill based PVP where gear doesn't matter is something PVE players want is asinine. Don't be foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Wtf, are you a sore loser or something? Someone who hates dying and losing?

Nothing wrong with losing when you're outplayed and not out-powered by gear and AA, is there? Cos then that gives you something to work on - get better so you can win next time. Learn from your mistakes.
    That's exactly why unchained pvp makes sense - too bad it's just mini games and doesn't apply to pvp everywhere though (I am 100% against any form of power progression in pvp - however I'm all for vanity stuff, titles, rankings, stats, bragging rights, open world FFA pvp...)

And if you can't handle a single ganker (assuming gear, AA and lvl are not the issue here) then get better, or smarter. Or call for help.

QFT.
    Look Roargathor! It's our brother from a European mother!

Quote Originally Posted by Cromathaar View Post
    Not a single fight is fare - that's the thing you don't take in notice. People instinctively try to find the reason why they are losing and themselves is the last place they are looking into. There were lots of reasons before: battlekeep invuls, premades, bad class balance, etc. People always try to find the external reason why they are losing. Someone's always guilty.

And what's the result of all this? Removing invuls reduced number of sieges and the meaning of battlekeeps greatly. But who was whining? Those who haven't got those invuls. Then people had to find another reason. Premades, of course! To hell with them. Now you can't play minis with friends in a MMO game. Even if you'd like to you need to spent lost of time to find another group that would agree to play tournament mode with you.

Not to mention tons of small tiny things that happen on almost every-day basis. There were lots of revamps because people tried to find the reason even with their own character. The class is too weak, of course! Funcom, we need to overpower it.

Bring people unchained mode they'll find another reason to whine. You'll see. And after they can't find the reason that fits them enough they just leave for another game.

And just to remind you, this "unbalanced" and "not fare" PvP gear and PvP experience was introduces on summer 2008 JUST BECAUSE fighting each other without any reason was NOT ENOUGH and people were leaving massively. Try to surf the forums for old posts. You'll find plenty of them with people whining that PvP in the game is meaningless and therefore it becomes boring after a week or so.

When Unchained mode is released the circle will close.
    Sorry, that wasn't why they were leaving... nice try though. Go hug your t4 helm and eat a cookie while you come up with yet another lame justification for your bitching... we all know it's because you feel miffed that your gear won't equate a near guaranteed win anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    Hahha!! Yeah, getting one/two/three shotted by a pvp 10 is NOT going to make you a better player. It's more often than not going to piss you off and deter new 80's from participating in PvP alltogether.

I agree with the others on this thread. PvP has NEVER been about gear for me. It's always been about the challenge, helping my team win an objective.(even if I end up with the highest death count at the end) and the satisfaction of getting a fatality on someone. The gear is a means to an end. The ends being able to compete. New 80s are not competitive. I feel terrible when I see a fresh 80 in blues on the enemy team. They die in 2 combos. It's not fun for them, it's not satisfying for me, and the overall experience of the battle is less than it should be.

I've always been in favor of cosmetic upgrades and titles as a "reward" for PvP. Leave vertical progression in PvE where it belongs. In my opinion, there should NOT be separate pvp gear from PvE. Just make all PVE gear have the same PvP stats regardless of what PvE tier it's from. That way, new 80s can get a decent set of competitive gear from the start and remain competitive vs even the most die hard PvE raiders no matter how advanced they are in the endgame. The only players who oppose this are the ones who seek a passive advantage over other players. You know who you are. They want to say they "Worked hard" to get their gear, and that everyone else should work as hard to get it, but they really just want to one shot fresh 80's and feel tough. It's those players who are making the biggest stink about an even playing field. To them I say Get over yourselves.
    I feel like I've suggested this before... See Joel, I'm not the only one Hire us!

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    Yes, go back and notice that the majority of those who whined about PvP not having meaning were not PvPers... They were not accustomed to the fact that AOC was not an Item centric vertical progression MMO like WOW, and they bitched about their hard earned T1 raid gear not meaning **** vs a fresh 80 wearing greens. The BIGGEST exodus of the PvPers was AFTER 1.05 was introduced, and the game became WoW with fatalities. I know, I was there. Don't try to back up your argument by spreading lies. I AM ROARGATHOR of LEGION IN FLAMES. Ask any Vet about LIF and they will tell you that we were the dominant PvP force on Cimmeria, then on Tyranny after the merge.

I agree with you that unchained minis wont be enough to make a significant lasting impact on the game, but it's a step in the right direction. Any step FC takes in reducing the gap between new and vet players is Good, as long as they don't dumb down the combat system any further.

Ew... I thought you were Roargathor of the mighty Snowhawk Clan?!

Quote Originally Posted by Azmith View Post
    Sorry, that wasn't why they were leaving... nice try though. Go hug your t4 helm and eat a cookie while you come up with yet another lame justification for your bitching... we all know it's because you feel miffed that your gear won't equate a near guaranteed win anymore.
    Lol. I'm PvP level 4 (which was entirely earned by fights and not digging Bori) with T1 PvP set combined with Khitan items for PvP and T1 PvE set combined with Khitan items for PvE. So in your place I would stop writing such pathetic posts since you have not a single clever thought to share.

I think this thread has gone on long enough and degenerated into trading insults rather than discussing the topic.

Thread closed
    closed
    Last edited by Grizzly; 6th May 2013 at 10:55.
    Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213