Thread: Hardware Usage

Default Hardware Usage

I been wondering for a long time about the GPU & CPU usage in this game.

If you use view distance over about 600 your fps get raped dont realy mather what distance above it for me atleast.
    600 just looks realy bad when world pops up like those realy old games when 3d was new to the gaming world and i can´t stand that.

So my question is why is it lagging so much with high view distance.
    Ofcourse this should require more on your PC.
    But the problem is that the game uses almost always between 10-20% of my i7 920 d0 GPU @3.8ghz and that is prolly why the game bottlekneck my GPU in Age of Conan.
    Results in GPU usage only about 50-60% at best i ever seen but very few times 70%.

It also seems the game is only using 1 thread for the game.
    Is this something the Age of Conan team is aware of.
    I cant realy notice any big difference from
    ATI 5870 1GB
    NVIDIA 660ti 2GB
    AMD 6950 2GB
    AMD 7950 3GB

-Current Hardware-
    AMD 7950 TOP
    12GB MEMORY
    i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD 128gb
    Asus p6t deluxe v2

Same Hardware tried with
    GTX 660ti
    ATI 5870
    AMD 6950

They all get the same results while playing almost.
    Why?
    Becaus the game seems to use hardware realy bad.
    That don´t sound good when this game got high quality graphics and a lovely brutal world and then to not be able to use our hardware properly

I dont dislike the game i love it and i make videos about it to.
    Just wondering what the Game Devs view on this is.

Will this be fixed?
    Is this something you guys are aware of?

Best Wishes Banto
    Goodluck with the new Role Joel & Rest of Team
    Last edited by Banto; 27th April 2013 at 19:33.

i think the game itself doesnt suport multi-core CPU, maybe because of the fact its old and has old code written, even if its adapted to their DreamWorld engine, with the TSW game they dont have much troubles cause its "fresh" and everything updated, nothing "adapted" or "improved" which is better; its like have a 50 year old car restored against the same model but created new out of nothing (they simple cant work the same )

anyway, the problem of the distance also happens to me, no matter how good your PC is, the higher the view distance, the worst it gets, specially in kithai regions (bigger areas), but if you want to increase distance just a bit more, say 1000, try decreasing the grass to medium quality (it puts less grass on the ground but its enough, for me at least, to enjoy the atmosphere)

i have between 30-40fps (depends on region, some go higher) and with the settings i use, i can enjoy well enough the atmosphere; on the advanced graphic options:
    DX9 (too many random crashes on DX10 for me)
    Shader 3
    Anti-Aliansing - NONE (this stills a lot of FPS when higher)
    Shadows - high quality with god rays active, the rest are none/inactive
    Water - REFLECT FROM GROUND ONLY and enhanced waves
    ground- high quality, grass on medium
    particles - enable world, high quality, show all (show for group when in raids)
    wind in tree ON
    textures - parallax ON, textures high, filtering is linear (higher will eat FPS a lot)
    view ranges - all to MAX
    on the basic graphic settings, teh distance is set to 1000 (this is the one that eats the FPS from what ive seen, the ones in advanced can go all to max)

my rig:

Intel core i7 920 (2.6)
    Radeon 5870 1Gb
    SATA2 hard drive
    6gb ddr3 ram
    the rest doesnt make to much difference, those 4 are the most important

Yeah the game is "old" now but it always been said with Age of Conan that it´s enchanted or how it spelled with multi-core cpus all the way since release.

I have hopes for them to improve it.
    Before you could use AoCQS to increase performance.
    Tried it abit again but it dont seem to help anymore.

Personaly i think i have better FPS in DX10 than DX9

I would run AOCQS, and see if it improves any.

With an i7 and that much memory and video card, it should never lag under full settings.

Hard to say without seeing your setup, but a Mem test might help. Hope your power supply is adequate also and not some cheapo box.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

The problem is mostly with view distance.
    Looking far away with the view fps drops low to 30-40
    I favor fps above 60 on my 120hz screen.

The thing is that the game dont use my Hardware like it should.
    If it did i would prolly have a much better experience.

I got a Corsair TX650 Supply = 650w

I think the problem is mostly that the game uses cpu´s very bad and by that the game bottlekneck the GPU becaus mostly only one core is used for the game.

The launcher of the game uses more on my GPU & CPU than the game itself.

AOCQS
    Link for a good working one for Windows 8

The one i used seems to give same results.

Most games these days do most of their work on GPU and barely touch the CPU. Dont be upset if the game doesn't utilise your CPU to render; it's not designed for it. There's not that much going on in-game that you would want to try using your CPU, either. Even the floating text is 3D.

I daresay you try dropping some of the settings in the graphcs menu to shorten the distance somewhat, although by the sounds of things you seem to have some other problem if your frames plummet after 600 metres. Maybe look at your dirver settings and make sure you're letting the game handle things like AA and AF (which you can turn down)

And try SweetFX as well. Not that it's going to improve your frames much, but it makes what you can see look that much better =D

My system is:
    AMD 955
    16GB 1600MHz RAM
    1GB nVidia Ti550 (not the best card, I know)
    1920x1080 res
    Max graphic settings

The game does about 20-30 FPS like this as most of the time I'm jjust bumming around doing not so intensive things, but when 6manning, I chuck it on medium preset and make sure the particles are down, but on for me.

I found the biggest pains in the arse are the inventory loading when using UI mods that allow for bigger bags in one panel. Even on my nice new 256GB SSD, that screen takes forever to load despite loading zones faster than ever (especially if I've been ther before in the current session)
    Last edited by stiiixy; 29th April 2013 at 19:13.