Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scythie View Post
    When i played TSW i had no problems whatsoever.
    As per usual people get panicky for absolutely no reason.
    When the EU servers moved from The Netherlands to Norway people we panicky as well. The difference? None.

This is a total I-Country problem. "Oh noes, i MIGHT get some MILLISECONDS more latency!"
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Moving the servers to Norway did make the experience worse for many people (Western and Southern Europe mostly) however it's still in Europe so it remains playable. My experience and that of many other players was better when servers were in the Netherlands.

But moving to the US will simply kill pvp for Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Europe. True story, fiber optic is fast but not THAT fast (it's actually slower than the speed of light) so it will be strictly impossible to have a good latency for most Euro players. And let's not forget Russia please, they represent a very large number of players in Europe and their latency will be 200-300ms at BEST. Unless you're racist you can't possibly think that's cool. You should check where the submarine communication cables are located and do the calculations yourself (with a speed of 200 000km/s since as I said it's slower than light) and don't forget to multiply the number you get by 2 (since ping is a roundway trip). And that's still just theory, in practice you can add all the routers, relays etc. in between before you get something remotely close to the real latency. For such a long trip (US to Eu) you can safely add say, 20-30ms x 2.
    http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

And there are no workarounds for that (short of making the game slower and less skill based with auto aim for melees^^). Anyway being in Western Europe at the moment my latency won't be that much worse than on Scandinavian servers but I'm thinking of all those people I play with who live in Eastern/Southern/Northern Europe. Trust me they won't have fun in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    We haven't had significant problems with this on TSW and we are hoping to not have problems in AoC.
    My latency in TSW is usually between 60ms-70ms from Oslo.
    Comparatively in AoC (EU) I am around 45ms.
    The difference is not noticeable for me.
    Sorry but there is something wrong here. Are you sure the latency in TSW is a roundway trip? Cos from Norway to the US there is more than 60-70ms. Actually there is roughly twice that. And TSW's gameplay is very different and latency doesn't matter nearly as much as in AoC.

Servers located in Ireland would probably be the best balance for a US/Eu server (from Ireland to New York you CAN get about ~65ms ping).

Vorbiz Edit: Edited a quote which I modded on a previous page.
    Last edited by Vorbiz; 28th April 2013 at 15:28.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

I've played AoC always with 250- MS and the only bad thing that happened is people teleporting. With most classes you don't even care about people teleporting, and the delay between instant cast spells is not so significant.
    If you play aoc with less than 100ms, you won't feel a thing.

If you're curious about the "hard" classes to play due to latency issues: I personally never met a good brazilian DT/Conq/sin/barb.

When i played TSW i had no problems whatsoever.
    As per usual people get panicky for absolutely no reason.
    When the EU servers moved from The Netherlands to Norway people we panicky as well. The difference? None.
    Your trying to compare TSW world to Age of Conan. The difference in PVE latency = very little if none. However in Age of Conan PVP, the difference = HUGE. The reason is is because Age of Conan uses a Hit Box in combat to land combos. Meaning anything that is not inside that Hit Box at the time that you press your combos, will count as a miss. So lets say you and I are fighting. And on my screen your directly infront of me, however I am at 300 latency, that means that even though on my screen your directly infront of me, on the server side your actually every so slightly to the left of me. With a 1 handed weapon, this would result in a miss, not a hit. So in Age of Conan, these latency differences are noticeable. The best player on our server is a guy who sits at 10-20 latency all day long, while the rest of us are around 45-100. That means he sees the game in real time, that is not a simple coincidence, there is an edge in having your latency lower then everyone elses, at least in Conan due to the hit box combat.

PvPer get everything for free, so who cares? It's PvE players that have to pay for everything and have subs and they're not complaining, cept ones with lousy connections.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I already spoke with Conan and he agreed to rent a room out to me adjacent to the servers when they finalize a location. I'll be hardwired directly into them for sub 5 ms ping.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyy View Post
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I already spoke with Conan and he agreed to rent a room out to me adjacent to the servers when they finalize a location. I'll be hardwired directly into them for sub 5 ms ping.
    So business as usual then?

Well i guess you can just keep driving your Fiat Punto instead of a Porsche 911. They both have 4 wheels, who could possibly notice a difference?
    That comparison to TSW is also a little off, since combat systems are totally different.

Vorbiz Edit: Removed political discussion.
    Last edited by Vorbiz; 28th April 2013 at 15:29.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Introducing lag into the game is not good news. Why keep servers in the US? Eu population is much bigger in aoc? Merging with us servers might lower the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyy View Post
    Introducing lag into the game is not good news. Why keep servers in the US? Eu population is much bigger in aoc? Merging with us servers might lower the population.
    Yeah, I never quite understood why they did that. The EU servers are clearly the larger of the two and more active... yet they are moving all operations/customer service to North Carolina of all places. I'm familiar with Raleigh and the triangle area(the research park is one of the more renowned in the country) but still I can't imagine why they would like to be away from the bulk of their customers and especially Funcom HQ (a Norwegian company in Europe.)

.... The only explanation is that they see no future in Europe or something. How's Europe doing as a market? I always thought Europe was richer then the U.S.?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast