Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

lag issues between players from russian region already brings problems, US server might bring even more

From the UK - Virgin cable 60Mbit connection (lowest latency of any ISP in England)

AoC - last year - 45ms
    AoC - this year - 75-110ms

TSW - 100-110ms constant.

Only time I have 100+ ms latency is when playing on US servers, thereby I reason the servers aren't in EU any more.

Maybe its too early to consider this, but moving the servers to the US might be a reason for me to quit. If the problems with lags and pingspikes arent solved after the move, which i doubt as rubberbanding and lags have been constantly accompanying us in AoC PvP, im gonna give up.
    Currently playing on Fury PvP is already a lot of "fun" when your average ping of 60MS in Khemi goes up to ~250MS in the middle of a fight, causing problems on judging the actual range of combos and position of opponents. Should this situation get worse - and actually its already hardly bearable right now - than I guess a few people will pack their bags for good, including myself.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Maelkjar View Post
    Maybe its too early to consider this, but moving the servers to the US might be a reason for me to quit. If the problems with lags and pingspikes arent solved after the move, which i doubt as rubberbanding and lags have been constantly accompanying us in AoC PvP, im gonna give up.
    Currently playing on Fury PvP is already a lot of "fun" when your average ping of 60MS in Khemi goes up to ~250MS in the middle of a fight, causing problems on judging the actual range of combos and position of opponents. Should this situation get worse - and actually its already hardly bearable right now - than I guess a few people will pack their bags for good, including myself.
    Lagspikes are not the same as latency though... so the experience would be exactly the same as now.

The network layer fixes should make improvements on that side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by hoskuldr View Post
    Just curious, do players and developers realize that latency between pc and a Display is someting between 45-80.

Ask daddy Carmack from ID software.
    Devs do, at least. The stats I am seeing from people who play both AoC and TSW seem pretty in line with what I would expect so far.

I'm not sure why people are posting their current AoC EU ping as it doesn't give any basis for comparison.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 26th April 2013 at 13:41.

The only thing that I noticed :

I'm basically a EU players. From Belgium to EU server, I was around 50 ms of latency.

I moved for a few month in the US, and when I connect from here, I have a ping of 200 ms, which is kind of annoying.

Same laptop, and I think my internet connection is pretty much equivalent. That's why I worry a bit about the latency. Unfortunately for me, I will be back in Belgium when server move But I'm certainly not an expert, so maybe this has nothing to do with the distance.

Latency AOC EU: 60 mS
    Latency TSW : 120 mS

It's easier to track latency in TSW and it does change, sometimes drop down to 80ms and up to 140ms but 120 is what's it usually at.

In AoC it seems to be more static at 60 but a little harder to track it since you need to hoover over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    I'm not sure why people are posting their current AoC EU ping as it doesn't give any basis for comparison.
    Because they are afraid something will change to the worse, no matter if the concerns make sense from a technological point of view - after all we're consumers not techies.
    If you take my post as an example my fear is that higher response-times/Pings will result in combos done by melee-classes using 1HE/1HB/Daggers as weaponry being harder to land.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

has someone got the IP/address of the TSW game server so my fellow guildies and I can run some ping tests? My guild is half Oceanic, half US.

If Evito's post is any indication, we could be looking at an avg 50ms improvement to Australia, if he's right anyway. It's a big deal for us because 300-350ms is still playable, but only *just*. Anything over 350 starts to become a joke what with 0.5 second cast times on many raid encounters.

I've played on 150ms when I visited my friends in the US and Brazil, and I actually enjoyed the PVP experience of the game (it was incredibly fun), compared to my 330ms at home (Perth, Western Australia).

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    Playing from Croatia with bit above 100ms, and to be honest even though i like some things i heard about possible revamp I am bit scarred about latency when server go US.
    It would be sad if i had to quit game because of that
    As far as I can tell, Funcom's moving the US servers to the EU, not the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by -Hubok View Post
    As far as I can tell, Funcom's moving the US servers to the EU, not the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    They will be in US.
    I must say i don't understand why a game that is mostly played by europeans is moving it's server to us. Then again they aren't working here anymore right? So that must be the reason but anyway this is bad for most of the players.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast