Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Default Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

So the interview with Joel on MMORPG.com came out, and they are talking about putting the servers all in 1 location. Latency in Age of Conan is a HUGE deal, due to our combos landing on target being based on where the target is located server side. So someone sitting at 20-30 latency will have a far easier time landing combos then someone sitting at 100-300 latency, by a LONG shot. How is Funcom going to address this if the US and EU servers are combined together? Since this would provide an unfair advantage in PVP to players who just so happen to be lucky enough to live close to the servers.

Latency is generally very big issue even without this forthcoming merge as even now we are having some major issues with constant lagspikes. Before anything is merge i think the whole game need new server tech or some other ways lag issues needs to be fixed. If these are fixed when the merge comes then im happy. if not the lag problems just keep getting bigger.
    Last edited by SelfRez; 26th April 2013 at 09:43.

Funcom

We haven't had significant problems with this on TSW and we are hoping to not have problems in AoC.
    My latency in TSW is usually between 60ms-70ms from Oslo.
    Comparatively in AoC (EU) I am around 45ms.
    The difference is not noticeable for me.

However would be interesting if people who play both AoC and TSW post their numbers and locations to get a broader idea of the impact closer to where you live.

You can do this using /setoption latency_window 1 (TSW only)
    To turn it off do /setoption latency_window 0

In AoC just mouse over the latency meter.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 26th April 2013 at 09:43.

Would servers be in US or EU?

I think there's a 100-200 latency difference for EU players connecting to US and vice versa for US players connecting to EU aoc.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyy View Post
    Would servers be in US or EU?

I think there's a 100-200 latency difference for EU players connecting to US and vice versa for US players connecting to EU aoc.
    They will be in US. And at least on TSW, the difference is not nearly 100-200ms.

I play on US servers from Iceland, I get about 110 - 150 m/s

Is TL server atm in US?

I play from Greece in the EU server and have 100-150 latency.
    Jenyu - Assassin
    Lutheor - Herald Of Xotli
    Destiny

"Now you see me, now you don't"

280 to US AoC servers from Aust. I don't have TSW to compare anymore but if memory serves I believe I was about 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Anecro View Post
    Is TL server atm in US?
    Judging my TL ping, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    They will be in US. And at least on TSW, the difference is not nearly 100-200ms.
    That guy bought a house next door to the server location so he has single digit ping
    Last edited by Evito; 26th April 2013 at 14:00.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    US based would be lovely, currently 400 to EU and 250 to US. PvE is fine with 400 but PvP not really possible (not a problem with 250).
    I dont play The Secret World, only Age of Conan, so I am not sure how their combat system works. However for some reason in PVP the hit box appears to be smaller then in PVE. Like it's something you get used to over time, but if your forced to go higher in latency, it'd be pretty hard to land 1 handed combos with a DT or Assassin at anything over 200 to 250 latency I'd imagine. Especially due to the way the game delivers it's information in chunks, rather then in a steady stream.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast