Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GW2 Free trial, April 19-21.

Default GW2 Free trial, April 19-21.

You can get a key on MMORPG.com (if you have an account, which is created in a few min).

Here is the official post on the GW2 site:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/t...d-april-19-21/

a lot of pp left AoC when GW2 came out happily ever after then return one month later to AoC
    this will make them leave AoC again for sure

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    a lot of pp left AoC when GW2 came out happily ever after then return one month later to AoC
    this will make them leave AoC again for sure
    I'm very excited to try it, didn't get to do it when it first came out because I was busy with other stuff. It was one of the most hyped games since AoC and SWTOR, so it was easy to predict that a lot of people would not stay.

I tried GW2. It was fun for about a month or so while leveling but once you hit 80 the content got real bland.

Fractuls are boring, and pug groups are the worst. PvP was fun, but grinding just to PvP 20 was not. Pug teams again are the worst, and the gimicky play style of several classes and all bunker builds are over the top. Also, the fact they release new content every other week and special (1 time) events really made me hate the game. With limited play time, I missed all the events and had to coat tail the rest instead of having the fun of doing it the first time with friends. Like the Christmas event.

I happily returned to AoC after 2 months of GW2.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    I tried GW2. It was fun for about a month or so while leveling but once you hit 80 the content got real bland.

Fractuls are boring, and pug groups are the worst. PvP was fun, but grinding just to PvP 20 was not. Pug teams again are the worst, and the gimicky play style of several classes and all bunker builds are over the top. Also, the fact they release new content every other week and special (1 time) events really made me hate the game. With limited play time, I missed all the events and had to coat tail the rest instead of having the fun of doing it the first time with friends. Like the Christmas event.

Is it like AoC were you have to do pug arena and can't sign up with friends? New content every other week and 1 time events sounds good imo. The only thing I might dislike is that they seemed to try to avoid the holy trinity, but I hope I can still make a class that is specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayhaycox View Post
    Is it like AoC were you have to do pug arena and can't sign up with friends? New content every other week and 1 time events sounds good imo. The only thing I might dislike is that they seemed to try to avoid the holy trinity, but I hope I can still make a class that is specialized.
    No, you can sign up for Tournaments with a premade but because how gimicky classes were at the time I was playing it was like playing AoC during 1.5.

And every class can heal to some degree and DPS. However, even when going for particular stats some classes just do better at certain things than others. When I quit Warriors and Rogues were particularly cheap classes, Rogues because of rendering issues and warriors because of burst. It might be better balanced now, but at the time basicly 2 shots were comming from both of those classes using the same gimicky attacks.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post

Reading this in addition to talking to a few friends who were drooling bigtime about GW2 makes me very glad I didn't pick it up, to be honest.

I'd play the free trial if I was home this weekend, however. But since I'm going to get roaringly shitfaced drunk on my job's bill...well. Beer wins that battle easily :P

I plan to try this weekend but definetly after some minis in AOC ;-)

so I try, Its pretty, like to fight in water Its really nice done. Of course did not play enough to really say right opinion. But I like AOC more ...

GW2 is a distant memory now so I'm going to copy/paste a post I made about it elsewhere when the experience was still fresh in my mind. I do agree the environments are amazing in a high fantasy way.

------------------

I played to level 18 as a Norn character. Completed the starting area and was a bit into the next area. I didn't try PvP or do any dungeons so can't comment on that aspect.

The good:

Character creation is very good.
    Stunning environments, mobs and water in many parts of the world and it's DX9 so should run well even on older computers. Just exploring the world is enjoyable.
    You will never be looking for a group or hamstrung because you don't have the right class(es).
    There's no killstealing or loot sharing. Everyone gets exp and loot for anything they help with.
    Instant travel anywhere in the world that you've already been.
    Some very neat and fun mechanics to some of the event quests.
    Actively dodging big attacks makes combat a lot more engaging.
    The downed state adds an interesting element to gameplay.
    I like that the characters feet will adjust to uneven ground. That's a nice touch.

The bad: Of course a lot of this is going to be subjective. Short version is that immersion is seriously lacking.

The voice acting, dialog and personal storyline were double facepalm awful to me. It felt like watching a cartoon made by 10 year olds.
    Combat animations are *extremely* exaggerated and over the top. (A note on this: Some people prefer a *Mortal Combat* style of fighting, which is much like GW2's, but I prefer a more realistic approach.)
    Many of the event quests are dumb to the 9th power. Such as normal rabbits able to knock a fully armored character to the ground and a Charr village needing help with Meatoberfest.
    The events become very repetitive very quickly. Any immersion that does happen is soon lost to this.
    Everything is too easy. Even the big events, while they look awesome with the spells and effects and everything going on, are ultimately just a button mashing zergfest with no organization or strategy.
    Even the waypoints and other things of interest are pre-marked on your map making getting those achievements feel a bit hollow.
    Running at a snail's pace. There are abilities to make you run faster for a short time but spamming these to move around got old very quickly. Also they were not the best abilities to use in combat so you have the choice of being gimped one way or the other or to constantly swap out abilities. This probably varies by profession.

I'd also add, since GW2 seems to be aimed at a very young audience, that, at least in the area I was in, drinking and violence were glorified to an absolutely absurd level. Possibly this is meant to showcase the Norn *culture*, who are basically like EQ barbarians, and will be different in other areas. If I had a young child playing this game I'd be sure they understood those references were tongue-in-cheek and meant to be humorous.

---------------

As an aside I've had no desire to log back in since and don't expect I ever will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast