Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare tokens

Without being too negative, i would really be worried if they implemented offline rare tokens. The idea seems to go against the very concept of playing.

It's like you could basically put a timer on an epic item, and get that item directly when the timer runs off.

"I want the unobtainable T10 mystic hammer of usefulness".
    2 months later, the weapon magically appears in your inventory.

It seems wrong.

That's why i would prefer conversion. It comes down to, if the devs see it valid to link progression to general time spent actively in game (playing whatever content) or if they keep progression limited to certain content or activities only. Offline tokens would feel a bit like "pay to win"...but if they adjust the speed, it might be just another notch for progression without giving that "t4 thing over time" effect.

are tokens really that hard to get your hands on that we really need to gain them offline?

i play the solo dungeons with my demo once in a while when i have 15 minutes free(i do groups with other chars), and from that alone he has now 350 unspent rares that i have gotten mostly over the last half a year, i would say they are almost free already...

We should hold back the people that want to have everything and want it now.

I already have alts that i have not played after i hit 80 that got all the AA feats they want, it would be sad if they also get all of the gear before i even start playing them.

And what image would we be sending to new players, "grats you are now at level 80, now you wait for 3 months while you get the base AA and rares to start playing again"
    I am Stian ingame...

What image is given to new 80s, when they realize the progression speed at 80 (counted in progression/rl time invested) is totally messed up after that?
    That they are "expected" to have certain AAs as fast as possible and are expected to stop other things they might do in the time, they need now to grind repeatable localized content?
    Do you really think new 80s are warmly welcome to an "KK, hm, AA, xp needed"-group that has completely different expectations from that run than the new player?
    How fast do they progress, if they chose the "intended" route of a few normal modes per day first (considering it takes 30 mins at least or more to even get a group for 10 mins of play), compared to well planned, experienced groups that farm house of crom or KK?

Again....the problem is not that i want things faster. It should still be faster to do KK runs (or other good rare/time ratio instances), instead of some old world dungeon with lots of thrash mobs or just questing. But if someone prefers that to KK or wants some variety, why deny them the tokens (directly or through conversion of existing currency)? THen even veterans might get "some" reward for helping others or have some more incentive to do old world except of pure fun.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 10th April 2013 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    What image is given to new 80s, when they realize the progression speed at 80 (counted in progression/rl time invested) is totally messed up after that?
    That they are "expected" to have certain AAs as fast as possible and are expected to stop other things they might do in the time, they need now to grind repeatable localized content?
    Do you really think new 80s are warmly welcome to an "KK, hm, AA, xp needed"-group that has completely different expectations from that run than the new player?
    Again....the problem is not that i want things faster. It will still be faster to do KK runs, instead of some old world dungeon with lots of thrash mobs. But if someone prefers that to KK or wants some variety, why deny them the tokens (directly or through conversion of existing currency)?
    THIS.

I get scolded constantly for bringing in new players who just turned 80 into instances, and I always respond with, "THIS new 80 is coming if you don't like it then leave my group."

I have no idea what kind of numbers Funcom is looking at from their server side but the VAST majority of genuine new players who get khitai never get to do much of any of the instances(even yag loops/farm instances) because the instances are just not done or they can't find a group that will accept them.

To all the vet farmers who think bringing a new novice 80 is an annoyance I say enjoy the game while it lasts because if you continue to discriminate against AA less new players the game will shut down fast.

They could learn a lot just by looking at the routes open for such new players. There is simply just a limited number of vets who do things on a regular basis (not even counting in time and language barriers) and even less who have the patience and time to help undergeared people. This is what i mean saying, that the standard grind route open for vets, is often not valid for new players (or the players who prefer other content like pvp or old world for example). And "tank and spank" is good practice and fun for some, even if it is not trendy atm.

Nobody will get hurt by adding alternative routes or conversion factors. The regular farm groups will still be faster, BUT sooner or later there will be good geared new people to rejoin their ranks. Especially as new player, i think, the least thing you want to do, when the "real" game starts at 80, is to grind and follow orders in a few chosen instances, while there is a wide open world and lots of different instances to explore with many different people

Reason why vets don't do much dungeons is that there's nothing to buy with the tokens. If they added more stuff to buy, then we would see more vets helping out aswell as more farm runs ofcourse.

But adding a single ring for 200 tokens won't do much good, would have to add expensive stuff like 500+ tokens, to have any effect, because most vets have 500-1000 tokens just lying around.

Also more dungeons like Amphi would help, there's no gear requirment, except on certain classes, it's a good dungeon to bring undergeared players, if they die they can just run back from res pad and continue.

There's no other dungeon where you can recover with 5/6 dead for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    They could learn a lot just by looking at the routes open for such new players. There is simply just a limited number of vets who do things on a regular basis (not even counting in time and language barriers) and even less who have the patience and time to help undergeared people. This is what i mean saying, that the standard grind route open for vets, is often not valid for new players (or the players who prefer other content like pvp or old world for example). And "tank and spank" is good practice and fun for some, even if it is not trendy atm.

Nobody will get hurt by adding alternative routes or conversion factors. The regular farm groups will still be faster, BUT sooner or later there will be good geared new people to rejoin their ranks. Especially as new player, i think, the least thing you want to do, when the "real" game starts at 80, is to grind and follow orders in a few chosen instances, while there is a wide open world and lots of different instances to explore with many different people
    This patently is NOT true. There are a ton of instances to do yes. But instances require people to do them, and vets only want to yag farm or HoC for maximum rare gains.

I dont think vets or funcom understands what is going on with a new 80. They hit 80 and buy khitai... and they look around and find that none of the instances are being done except yag loops which are gear/experience dependent(which means they are barred from it).

so they immediately go down the path of boring old khitai grind wherein they are a.) not grouped with anyone and thus not having fun. b.) solo grinding repeating same quests over and over again until they finally get enough gold/moa/rares.

Then 99% of them say "Wow this really sucks I'm gonna go play elder scrolls online".

Then Funcom scratches their heads and wonders why the game has 900 active players.

Not arguin against you there. Just saying that with conversion or more ways to get tokens, it does not have to be so. Then the new players or people not into khitai dungeons or solo stuff would get more alternatives to gear up.

@Paulson:
    Good point. Funcom seems to like the rule of "you need purple gear to farm blue gear" The players who would actually buy and need the stuff buyable with rare tokens can't because they lack gold and tokens and ways to get them. Those players able to get tokens on a steady basis don't really need them to get more powerful either, just for maxxing out things or fine tuning or more choice probably, because they got a fair share of purple khitai drops already.

You guys draw a very pessimistic picture. A picture i do not see myself on Crom.

From what i see and the people i know, no veteran goes to KK on a regular basis, those instances are for fresh characters and rather new players. Veterans go AI district instead to get the legs.

Monastery runs are also run by newbies mainly.

Either case, veterans do not exclude new players from those instances, simply because it's the newbies that create those groups, which veterans join occasionally.

So as a matter of fact, quite often i see a newbie group being saved because they were looking for the main tank for 15 minutes, and a veteran brings his full T4 tank because he had 15 min to kill.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast