Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare tokens

Default Rare tokens

I have always find it very boring and grind hell to obtain rare tokens in khitai....So maybe im doing it wrong. I usually get about 5-10 tokens in evening.
    What do you think is the most efficient/fastest way to get them considering that i have no more than 2-3 hours gametime at evenings.

Get a good group togheter and hit one of the harder dungeons, that you can reset, and farm it. Some of the dungeons reward around 9 tokens I think per run. Then you can make 20-30 tokens / hour. Dependig on how fast your group is.

Quote Originally Posted by paulson View Post
    Get a good group togheter and hit one of the harder dungeons, that you can reset, and farm it. Some of the dungeons reward around 9 tokens I think per run. Then you can make 20-30 tokens / hour. Dependig on how fast your group is.
    Thanks for the tips. Is there somewhere a more info about how many rare tokens/rewards you usually get from various Khitai dungeons? Vortex/Flame/Palace seems to be the most popular runs that i see in global. I have joined on these many times but its kind of mind wash in the long run.

Amphitheatre of Karutonia gives 9 tokens and i think you get about the same for a Kara Korum run. Doing Iron Statues will get you 4 - 5 in about 20 minutes (tops).

But on the whole i would focus less on getting the tokens and more on having fun and look at the tokens as icing on the cake and a happy reward for having a great time.

So group up, do the fun instances and enjoy the game. No grind then, ever.
    My main alts:
    Cylien Assassin - Whirlwind of death. As in dies a LOT
    Scythie Conqueror - And Petal her mammoth
    Karalee Guardian - "My sergeant says an army marches on it's belly. But I ain't never seen that! "Shakes her head vigorously"

Shameless self promotion
    http://www.reverbnation.com/charkoalmusic

Quote Originally Posted by SelfRez View Post
    I have always find it very boring and grind hell to obtain rare tokens in khitai....So maybe im doing it wrong. I usually get about 5-10 tokens in evening.
    What do you think is the most efficient/fastest way to get them considering that i have no more than 2-3 hours gametime at evenings.
    The most efficient/fastest way to get rare tokens is the one you are seeing now. Before you only got one rare trophy in hard mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythie View Post
    Amphitheatre of Karutonia gives 9 tokens and i think you get about the same for a Kara Korum run. Doing Iron Statues will get you 4 - 5 in about 20 minutes (tops).

But on the whole i would focus less on getting the tokens and more on having fun and look at the tokens as icing on the cake and a happy reward for having a great time.

So group up, do the fun instances and enjoy the game. No grind then, ever.
    I agree with that.

You can eventually have a look on AoC-is-better-than-tv to get the set pieces you are looking for and slightly prioritise the instance where they loot but keep it fun. Find a nice groupe to set groupe faster with less afking and maybe a bit more sucess than random pugs and you should get more tokens than 5-10 per day.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ravapra View Post
    The most efficient/fastest way to get rare tokens is the one you are seeing now. Before you only got one rare trophy in hard mode.
    Yep, it was insane in the first year

I remember getting the most of my rares from KK runs (Cavern of Malice, Celestial Necropolis and Enigmata of Yag). It can be done in about an hour tops and should give you about 9 tokens, plus epic items of course.

Hard modes in KK are not much different than normal modes (I did normal mode in CN once and never in EoY) and can be ridiculously easy if you learn some tricks. If you're looking for some brain-dead-easy rares, KK is the place.

AoC-better-than-tv is really the way to go, since there you can see that you don't need rares at all, because most instances drop blue gear that's very close in terms of stats to their epic equivalent.

For instance the LL hate chest dropping from cavern of malice.

Blue
    Armor 1745
    Critigation 417
    Strength 54
    Constitution 72
    Hit rating 40
    Hate increase 31

Purple
    Armor 1747
    Critigation 429
    Strength 73
    Constitution 90
    Hit rating 52
    Hate increase 35

Once you get the blue, i don't see why on earth one should have to go pure farming mode to get the purple one as fast as possible, since that blue one is way enough to tank anything in game.

And for dps classes it's even easier.

The same rule applies to everything, you just have to check where drop the cool stuff for free and got get it, then you can just play, and rares and AA will pile up anyway.
    Last edited by Mellaus; 10th April 2013 at 08:15.

^ This chest is one of the cases where a blue item is better than raid T1.

The difference between blue and purple - it's maybe not much for one item, but you have 12-13 items slots
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 10th April 2013 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post

The same rule applies to everything, you just have to check where drop the cool stuff for free and got get it, then you can just play, and rares and AA will pile up anyway.
    True about AA, but the balancing of how to get rares is completely messed up, because you simply do NOT get them by playing. You get them very, very slow, if you do the odd solo instance (even if you do one or two daily) and normal mode group. Sure, you get them faster with hard modes or farmploiting instances, but this is just not everyones thing. Again, for funcom devs, one players time seems more worth than another players. Token systems can be nice and motivating, but if there is absolutely NO conversion for one type (i can understand it for true endgame content or new content) this does not work out. Just check how much rares a new 80 needs to get one ring or amulet from a faction and maybe one or two armor pieces and a weapon. By the time he/she gets the rares through normal play (and i mean one or two instances per day and faction quests), he/she will be faction rank 20 and have 10k MoAs....but only a few hundred rares.
    Compare this to "special" gameplay where you get 20-30 rares per hour...you think this is balanced and fair treatment?
    Even compared to the alternative of just "getting lucky"...the grind to get the gear you choose by rare tokens is way too much now.
    Either the grind is reduced, the prices are reduced, more rares in instances or even random drops are introduced or conversion from other tokens are introduced to get the "rares got/time + fun invested" ratio back to something reasonable.

You should be able to get my point better, if you compare some calculation of who can get rare tokens now and how:
    - solo instances (repetetive, timesinkish, not everyones thing in an MMO), imo good for once in a while, but really no fun, if you have more than a few chars you want to customize
    - group instances fast (like fire boss and vortex)
    - group instances tough (AA, xp, gear required)
    - open group instances (like HoC)
    Then you have
    - casual players
    - players with many alts
    - players with blue gear who actually could use rares as progression
    - players with purple gear who just need a few more rares to get the piece they want
    - players with a big friendlist and guild support
    - players in guilds with frequent KK or general khitai group runs
    - premium players without khitai who "could" in theory buy items in dragonspine or Turan but they can only "farm" HoC, Amphi and Dragonspine
    - and a mix of all those (sometimes to the players benefit, like blue geared with friend support, sometimes to the bad, like casual players with alts, but at their prime playtime not many friends online)

Imo, the gaps (in terms of rare tokens) between these groups are too high. Though it is possible to jump the grind train, get more friends and such...the risk is too high it goes at cost of what Scythie said should be the main motivation: fun.

Conversion rates would be the best solution, because it will keep the speed and grindfactor for those who like to be "fast" by doing KK runs, solo farming etc., but at least gives a chance to gather rare tokens (at a much slower pace though) at ALL for those who don't like daily repetitive content, who don't like solo content and who don't like khitai instances.
    Also adding a rare (or a chance of a rare dropping) per boss in any old world instance can help too (maybe increase the other rare droppings to reflect each instance difficulty and time factor).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 10th April 2013 at 09:24.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast