Thread: Top World 15 WoW Player Coming Back to AoC

Default Top World 15 WoW Player Coming Back to AoC

Hello,

As the title says, I am a Top World 15 WoW Player. I am coming back to AoC after a long hiatus. I started playing WoW when it was released in 2004. The highest guild ranking I was in was world 9 back in WOTLK. I was in the guild from Pre-BC (To young to raid hardcore then), all the way to the mid-Cataclysm. We slipped back a little bit after major guild drama, and the guild eventually broke up. I tried to continue into Mists of Pandaria but I finally settled on leaving the nostalgia of Pre-BC up until WOTLK behind me and finally quit.

A little more about my gaming "career" - I've played nearly every AAA MMO out since 2004. When AoC was released in 2008 I played both WoW and AoC. I raided Tier 1, and than quit, I played on and off until 2010. One instance of proving to you, the potential recruiter, that I did in fact play when I said I played is the infamous Kyllikki's Crypt bug, where Kyllikki would quite literally just stand there while you hit her. There was also a way to go under the floor and beat on her for free loot.

What I am willing to provide to you:

I will restart fresh on the server you choose, any class that YOU need for progression. I am very good at extensively researching a class, so do not fear that I will perform lack-luster. If you are on Tyranny, I already have an 80 Bear Shaman or Assassin there I could play, or as I previously stated I will restart. I graduate from College in April, and the job I have lined up does not start until early 2014 so I have nothing but time on my hands.

What I am looking for:

The thing that I am looking for is quite simple, I require a core spot in raids, or if a core spot is not currently available, the next open spot. I do not require anything else.

I am willing to answer any questions regarding most anything. Just leave a post here and I will get back to you within the hour.

Thank you,

Talint

Welcome Back [T] !

Quite an impressive résumé ~ this is the right place for your post ~ try getting a hold of a AAA-Guild ;

Social Rejects
    Immortals
    Req NEX
    Mist Wolves
    Shadow Dancer

... to name a few.
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Or just look at the progression thread (US).

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180403

7 guilds clear t4 weekly.
    Rogue Angels Guild Leader and Progression Raid Leader
    http://rogueangels.guildlaunch.com

Tmanku 80 Guard | Tmanil 80 ToS | Tmanosu 80 DT | Tmanbank 80 BS | Tmanfu 80 Demo | Tmanwu 80 Ranger | Tmanpope 80 PoM | Tmanpointy 80 Sin | Tmanbarb 80 Barb | Tmanfire 80 HoX | Tmannecro 80 Necro | Tmanblade 80 Conq | Tmanlite 80 Guard | Tmantosjr 80 Tos | Tmandemojr 80 Demo | Tmanthethird Saga Guard

The best thing is probably to start playing one of your existing lvl 80's and start doing Dungeon Hardmodes in Pugs. Then you get a feel for the game again, and start to earn AA.

Atleast here in Europe the top guilds don't recruit newbies, and require their recruits to have decent gear and lots of AA before they can join or atleast be considered for the main T4 raid team.

The guilds will also check your player skills, so get doing those Hardmodes and impress the recruiters!

I am serious about joining the ranks of a top-end guild, even if it's just while I'm leveling and getting my AA up. Obviously I wont be able to hit 80 + get all of my AAs and all of my gear in a week so it would be nice to join the guild and get to know the folks in it.

If you are interested in what I could bring to the table, want to give me a shot, or have any questions, please post here and I will answer them asap.

Talint
    Last edited by Arishanya; 2nd April 2013 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Talint18 View Post
    I am serious about joining the ranks of a top-end guild, even if it's just while I'm leveling and getting my AA up. Obviously I wont be able to hit 80 + get all of my AAs and all of my gear in a week so it would be nice to join the guild and get to know the folks in it.

If you are interested in what I could bring to the table, want to give me a shot, or have any questions, please post here and I will answer them asap.

Talint
    I was an officer in the number one guild on my WoW launch server for the first two years of WoW (the vanilla, 40-man raid days), so hello from a fellow former raider. AoC has a long history of scorning WoW, so you may not want to lead with that on your resume, but I think most AoC raiders will recognize the doggedness and consistency of a fellow raider once you start delivering.

That said, I have not seen the raid culture here that you are used to in WoW.
    • There is only one tier of raiding that isn't being farmed by pickup groups (two, if you count 3.5, which most guilds do not bother with), many of those PUGs in just blues.
    • Due to the player turnover, even most guilds doing Tier 4 will happily accept any player with good gear and AA, so it's not really necessary to have top raiding experience from other games.
    • That said, if you don't have a geared/AAed character yet, you've really got nothing. First of all, you can do that just by soloing/PUGs, so it's suspicious if you're asking for help to do it. Furthermore, again, there's a lot of turnover: people take breaks (again, raiding is not as hardcore here), switch characters, ingest too much General Forums and die IRL, etc., so what matters is proving that you're going to stick with the game, and the only way to do that is with a geared/AAed character, not a resume from other games.

So if I was in your position of wanting to become a hardcore Tier4 raider ASAP, I'd focus less on applying right now and more on taking a month or two (full-time) for leveling, gearing up, and grinding. Here's how I'd spend that month or two:

Choose a class carefully.
    1. Tank, DPS or heals? Caster or melee (note that melee requires combos)? Research your choice, which due to how dated the old forums are and how new the current forums are, means talking to other players for tips. (Play the role of a newbie for as long as you can! You can get a lot done with "dumb questions." Ask from an alt if you don't want to make your main look bad.)
    2. Here are some starter tips: a) If you're even considering tanking, Conquerors and Dark Templars are currently good at both tanking and DPS, which is good if you want to have options someday and because tanks take a long time to gear up.b) If you want to be at the very top of raid damage parses, those slots are traditionally taken by casters (demos, necros), BUT most well-played classes can get there too (esp Assassins, Conqs, etc.). c) Tanking seems to be the most hardcore role in terms of biggest gear investment, most pressure to be in charge and know the game, etc. DPS is the most hardcore in terms of raw performance: damage parses will put harsh light on those who are/aren't optimizing their rotation (harder than in WoW), especially once everyone has similar gear. Healing is the most different from WoW because there's so little direct healing; "top healers" are basically people who just stay on top of their rotation (the "hardcore" part, at least for your own benefit, is seeing how high you can parse on both damage AND healing simultaneously).
    3. Seriously, level a few classes up to at least 20 or even 30 before committing. It's not that hard to level up a new class if you change your mind later, but people who are genuine stand-outs at their class all seem to really enjoy that one class above all others (unlike WoW, where the classes are really kind of similar, play-wise). So find yours! The class populations are really pretty balanced at 80, and even though not all classes are created equal, AoC's design and culture like an even class balance in raids. So your choice will not automatically help/hurt you in terms of getting guild/raid invites.

Level smart:
    • Especially if you don't have offline levels stored up (which I don't recommend anyway; if you haven't played in a while, leveling is a great way to learn the world, the player culture, the game slang, etc.), but still want to level at a steady pace, I recommend getting the Tortage Survival Kit from the item store. The 100% XP potions are great and almost eliminate the need to jump between zones mid-level bracket (e.g., spend 40-50 in one zone, rather than skipping back and forth between FoD and Nobles).
    • Don't wait for (pre-80) dungeons and delete the quests as soon as they get old. If you see a group already formed for one, though, hop in. Sanctum and Amphitheatre groups seem to form most often on Set; Main/Cistern groups never, and/or the groups never do all the quests.
    • You can often get great blues for cheap from the Trader or free from players giving them away in chat. If you're going to spend money, spend it on good weapons (especially if melee); it makes a big difference.

Prepare for end-game before getting to it:
    • Initial gear: You should get into Khitai ASAP -- level 78-79, even -- and start grinding some factions. Consider buying an epic mount from the item store, it makes a huge difference grinding in Khitai. Figure out what your class's top armor faction is and hit it hard. If you've still got Vet Points, you can consider spending them on Imperial Insignia (but it's kind of a waste, considering how much you can farm them up if you have the time). Be patient at first. Getting Tier 1 or 2 in the faction with your class's best armor will make a huge difference, but it takes patience to get there when you're still in leveling greens. Once in a few Khitai blues, then you can go crazy. Seriously, you can solo-grind Khitai blues that are as good as Tier 2-3 raid armor in just a couple weeks if you're hardcore about it. (The only problem with soloing is that people tend to look down on players that don't know the 6-mans. Plus, the gear you need to do well in a serious Tier4 guild will require "Rares," which means doing lots of 6-mans if you want to get them quickly. Look for House of Crom (HOC) rare farms. Note that it might be tempting to apply to a Tier4 guild at this point to get in on their rare-farming teams, but they're gearing up their alts and know the dungeons, so you might look like a leech. Consider joining a decent mid-range guild that is hitting 6-man "hard modes" and Tier 2-3 every week, instead.)
    • AA: Each class usually has a few AA feats that are considered must-have. Find out what those are -- from these forums, usually -- and then time-train those ASAP while finishing them with Mastery/Prowess points whenever you've accumulated enough. You can buy Expertise points from the cash shop, which helps when Mastery points get ahead of Prowess.
    • Getting groups: Tier 1 PUGs form a lot, but the gear is lame compared to Khitai faction gear, and the content is pretty easy; you might still do a few to get a feel for things and make sure you're topping the parses. Be careful about Khitai 6-man PUGs: generally the PUGs doing those are looking for geared players who know how to help farm rares, and people can get impatient with a newbie fast. Either join a mid-level guild willing to help you gear up, or get Tier 3-4 faction gear, do your homework on dungeon strats, and then accept your lumps in the 6-man PUGs.
    • From the Veterans Shop, consider getting the Paths to the capitals, Atzels (the Lair), and Kheshatta. (Don't get the cash shop portals, as they are one-time use only.) When raids -- especially Tier 1-3 pugs -- are forming, they hate waiting for you to travel to the instance.
    • Learn the instances before you do them: Vets in this game have been hitting the same 6-mans and raids for so long that even when they try to be helpful, they still skip huge steps, or link a dungeon guide and then pull 30 seconds later. So you have to do your homework before you set foot in places. http://aoc.wikia.com/ has encounter guides for a lot of the 6-mans. Raid guides can be found around this forum and others, but keep in mind that many guilds have their own ways of doing things.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 2nd April 2013 at 23:54.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

What Prima said.
    Set is currently the only US server offering end-content raiding.
    I'd take my babysteps in a guild that does T1-T2, possibly T3, and K6s regularly and advance from there.

Just apply to any guild. Even "hardcore" guilds are willing to pickup people. Getting someone at these population low times is tough... especially people who'll stay and play to full end game.

you looking for a guild on US side or EU side or does it matter?

Cleaned this up big time. If you can't offer valid guild suggestions to the OP, do yourself a favor and refrain from posting in this thread.

As always, all posts must adhere to the Social Guidelines.
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.