Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two technical issues halting my return from the game (Steam version)

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    Maybe the problem is not on the but your own computer and/or steam itself, try getting the game from official site or on different computers

You also said the steam system told you about 300 corrupted files, i dunno how steam works with the game itself, but try launching the game using the original launcher instead of using steam launcher..
    Hi, I appreciate the help. The only problem is, the 300 corrupted files were on my game files, which were actually working perfectly fine. The game won't launch or do anything except continue updating for me. However, I am now at 83% after waiting all day. My friend and I discussed that if we couldn't figure out his problem for him by the time my client re-downloaded the entire game (for no reason) that we would have to just forget about it.

As for my friend, we were playing Left 4 Dead 2 through steam yesterday for a few hours, he plays Civ 5, Dead Island, Skyrim, etc. all from the steam panel. This problem is only with Age of Conan. He isn't the most technically savvy, but I know for a fact that all of these newer (in some cases fairly demanding) titles work flawlessly on his machine.

Alas, this will be the second time I downloaded the entire game when it wasn't even necessary and this is just combined with the fact that it won't get past this loop on his machine. We want to play through the steam panel for many reasons. Unfortunately, if we cannot get this to work through steam we will not be playing. This saddens me, especially because I got so excited after looking at my account from in-game and logging on my main. I almost pondered going premium right then, but I thought I would wait for my friend to launch today and see how things are, see if the game interested him, etc. I am really glad that I didn't act on instinct! So far this has been a disaster. Five hours later and we are still trying to get the game to even work for him AND it is re-downloading the entire game for me, when it was working perfectly before and didn't even need to re-download the entire client.

Still trying to find anything in old threads that might help us, but we are running out of options for him, as well as time to continue troubleshooting this issue. I just really hoped for a better re-introduction to AoC.
    Last edited by Velcrogiraffe; 30th March 2013 at 23:02.

Next thing i would try is Deleting and replacing you Localconfig file in the age of conan folder.

Beware they are different for EU + US clients.

http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...27&postcount=3
    Last edited by Gwartisan; 31st March 2013 at 01:24.

OK...try to completely ingone the game using steam, try using "normal mode" where you get the launcher from official site...login to a dummy account (don't use yours to avoid loosing some steam advantages like the unique cloak it gives) and see if problem persists, but uninstall previous version...

This way at least you know if problem is from the game or not...if works great, then problem is most likely from steam, othetwise is from game or personal pc

Other games have different techs, so, no matter how visually the game is or how the pc handles them well enough, bugs and problems are diffetent, the only game you can compare with Conan is Tsw because they use the same engine, no other game uses the dreamworld engine

Thanks, trying these solutions now. Will post back shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartisan View Post
    Next thing i would try is Deleting and replacing you Localconfig file in the age of conan folder.

Beware they are different for EU + US clients.

http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...27&postcount=3
    Yes, also be carefull with that, check that first before doing harder and longer stuff like I said before

So, deleting the localconfig did not work.

At this point I decided to try something weird. As I noted before, the download that was looping was 17.8MB. While ensuring that my friend had his files running in administrator I noticed while hovering over the .exe file "PatcherSetup" in Program Files(x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>ageofconan_us that the "PatcherSetup" file was precisely 17.8MB. This hinted me off that this was the exact file causing the issues.

So instead of starting the game from steam, I had him double click PatcherSetup. From there, it ran through a few updates that we were unable to get through Steam! After 8 hours of troubleshooting for the full day we FINALLY got it to work, and only by chance because I noticed the file size matched the looping download and went from there.

Thank you for the help though everyone. It is always the most random thing though, isn't it? I hope that this solution ends up working for somebody else in the future as well!

So apparently the problem was on steam/conan combination...

Better yet, you got it working, cheers to and your friend, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    So apparently the problem was on steam/conan combination...

Better yet, you got it working, cheers to and your friend, enjoy
    Yeah, seems something had gotten corrupted in the download for my friend. An odd issue, because mine worked perfectly from Steam.

In the end though, it is great that we got it to work! The devs might want to look into that file though and how it interacts with steam to see if this was a rare error or something that can be repeated.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12