Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two technical issues halting my return from the game (Steam version)

Thumbs down Two technical issues halting my return from the game (Steam version)

Trying to keep a positive approach to my return, have to admit this has been a frustrating morning though.

First off, I downloaded the game on steam yesterday to return and see what has changed etc. Everything worked fine, for me!

The download took some time, but in the end I was able to launch the game and just look through my old characters. I chose my tabs to unlock and then just looked through my inventory on one of my characters and began refamiliarizing myself with the hotkeys etc.

I then logged out as my friend was downloading the game and was a bit behind me. Since he has never played the game I was going to wait for him to explain step by step how to get off noob island to meet up in Tortage.

This brings me to this morning. My friend tries to launch the game and the patcher is stuck in a loop for him. It constantly updates around 18mb worth of data and then closes itself. Then when he double clicks it again from the steam library it does the same thing. So he is stuck in this loop. Considering this hasn't happened for me I started running through the trouble shooting process. He is not very technically savvy so I basically have to guide him through the troubleshooting process.

For starters, I decided to have my friend go to his steam library and right click the game, from there I advised him to go to local files and then to click "verify integrity of game cache". Just to ensure that I was on the same page with him, I decided to do it alongside him just so that I could advise him of the following steps. I figured my game was working perfect so it would find no errors, at which stage I could just tell him the next steps.

Next thing you know, after about 30 minutes of running through this verification, his steam browser states that several files are corrupt and begins updating them. Then to my surprise, mine completes and tells me that I have over 300 corrupt files??? What??? I was just playing the game perfectly fine and nothing changed between a working client and me running this verification test. So anyways, it begins downloading these files for me BUT it is re-downloading the entire game again! It is going to take another 5-6 hours to redownload these files. It is going at a steady 1.3mb download speed for almost two hours and it is now only at 16% ??? Why? My game was perfectly fine. What is going on? Why is it re-downloading the entire game again?

Well, to make matters worse. My friend tried to launch the game after it updated his files, which was a significantly faster than my update to a client that was working perfectly, and it is doing the exact same thing as before for him! He is stuck in a loop where the patcher just updates these 18mb and then closes. I had him go into his steam directory and right click and go to properties to ensure that he is running it as administrator, but still the same patching loop. I have no clue what to tell him.

Honestly, this is a really bad starting to my return. My friend can't launch and is stuck in a loop and my game, even though working perfectly prior decided it would entirely re-download the game and I can't stop it, I can only pause updating. So I have to just wait another 5-6 hours until I can play a game that was perfectly fine.

Yikes!! I would have hoped that things like this were sorted out, so that a returning player (as well as a brand new player) would have a smooth and user-friendly experience.
    Last edited by Velcrogiraffe; 30th March 2013 at 19:38.

Ageofconan/RDB/ delete RDBhashindex ,relaunch game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartisan View Post
    Ageofconan/RDB/ delete RDBhashindex ,relaunch game.
    Thanks, friend has gone to get food but I will try this as soon as he returns. Any explanation as to why my game is re-downloading the entire thing even though it was working fine? Can I stop this and just bypass this download somehow? Still only at 18% now.

Friend returned. Deleted the file you mentioned.

No luck.

Exact same thing.

Well, we can't troubleshoot this ourselves. Every google search I do ends up going to old threads that were deleted. We have no clue what to do.

We just want to play the game! I am only at 40% downloaded also (of a game that was already downloaded and was working perfectly).

We're still positive about this and are trying to jump these hurdles. Not sure what do though. I really want to try the game again, and my friend really wants to try it for the first time. This is a lot of effort though.
    Last edited by Velcrogiraffe; 30th March 2013 at 21:10.

Old EU forum: http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com
    Old US forum: http://forums-us.ageofconan.com

Try searching the old forums instead of finding them thru google.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    Old EU forum: http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com
    Old US forum: http://forums-us.ageofconan.com

Try searching the old forums instead of finding them thru google.
    Appreciate the guidance. Was not aware those existed.

Found this one on US forums, currently searching through this one and will try some stuff and see how it goes:
    http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/show...=launcher+loop

Will post back with an update shortly.

Oh man, nothing working. Tried the whole task manager thing, the rebooting computer, the running as admin. Exact same problem after every attempt.

Again, when he tries to launch the game, it pops up the update window and loads a 17.8 mb file then it closes and a steam sale window pops up. At this stage no .exe file starts regarding AoC and nothing else happens. He can then just click to launch the game again and it will do the exact same thing.

He just informed me that the Steam sale window only pops up after a reboot. Otherwise it just patches this 17.8 mb file and then nothing else happens. Just silence. There is no ageofconan.exe in task manager or anything at all. Then he can click it again to launch and same thing happens with this 17.8mb file over and over again.

Maybe the problem is not on the but your own computer and/or steam itself, try getting the game from official site or on different computers
    I know, it will take lots of time to download the whole Gam as e again, but IMO, the problem is on computers with antivirus and some other softwares messing up windows itself and thus the game launcher (as you said, your friend is not techinal, so, chances are he has lots of creepy stuff installed like banners)

You also said the steam system told you about 300 corrupted files, i dunno how steam works with the game itself, but try launching the game using the original launcher instead of using steam launcher...

From my exp, the game is around +90 bug free or fixed stuff

P.S.: I think there was some issues in the past with the game on steam, and someone from funcom told that it was steam that had something to sorrow out and the game
    Last edited by Arishanya; 2nd April 2013 at 23:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast