Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Class Struggle in Hyboria: What class should I play?

Yeah it last a few useful seconds. Too bad people often focus the tanks I just stun haha

The video posted on last page is great, only the ranger part honestly suck (the first part of it, the shot on the guy with horse is cool), doesn't show what the class can do at melee range. That's something important, even tought I know, well, it's a secret few knows.
    Last edited by Religolibri; 1st August 2013 at 22:22.

hello mates.

Returned to AoC after 5years break. I have BS and PoM at 80, but want to start as a tank now. I want to choose between guard and dt. I'm casual mature player who will focus pve content.

which one is easier to solo lvl up?
    which one is easier to tank on dungs / raids?
    which one is better to farm faction quests at the end game?
    how many buttons / macros I will use on guard and dt? I don't want to play boring class, but also don't want to press full keyboard like some octopus to play effective.
    May I use polearm lvling build focused on dps on guard and dos dt build in low lvl dungeons as a tank?
    May I have two build ie. dps and tank and switch between them at any place?
    which class will be more enjoyable and not stressfull for a casual mature player?

edit. till 80 I want play on lvling build to maximize my dps, and from time to time tank some dungeons at low lvl. Is it possible or need to change/reset build and equip? is it easy to find some group ie. for Sanctum or AoK during lvling nowadays or ppl just skip them?

thanks for any answers.
    Last edited by Carloroca; 25th October 2013 at 12:43.

^You sound like a spear guard. Shield guard is much more entertaining but you have to be an octopus to succeed at that. Templar goes easier on the keyboard but it's prolly most complicated class and depends far too much on having good items.
    You can unlock a second spec at 30 (just before Black Castle coincidentally) if you're premium and buy another from funcom shop.
    Sadly low dungeons are usually skipped by majority but it's possible to gather a group to tackle them if you have some luck and enough patience to spam global for a very long time.
    Game can get extremely stressful as you reach most advanced parts of pve but it's the real draw (along with a pathological need to see higher numbers on their toon) for many pvers. You might not enjoy the pressure once you're there but that's a long way away for a fresh starter so don't worry for now.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    ^You sound like a spear guard. Shield guard is much more entertaining but you have to be an octopus to succeed at that. Templar goes easier on the keyboard but it's prolly most complicated class and depends far too much on having good items.
    You can unlock a second spec at 30 (just before Black Castle coincidentally) if you're premium and buy another from funcom shop.
    Sadly low dungeons are usually skipped by majority but it's possible to gather a group to tackle them if you have some luck and enough patience to spam global for a very long time.
    Game can get extremely stressful as you reach most advanced parts of pve but it's the real draw (along with a pathological need to see higher numbers on their toon) for many pvers. You might not enjoy the pressure once you're there but that's a long way away for a fresh starter so don't worry for now.
    It's very difficult being a guard, don't let these guys fool you the DT is less complex to figure out because there aren't really any hidden factors(number bigger!! hulk smash!!) but with guard grabbing aggro is a challenge towards end game and there a ton of buttons to press and at the same time you can't see/parse the only number that matters to you which is hate gen. Also, you're more squishy then a tali DT or bubble boy conq because your only mitigation tool is a combo that may or may not cost you aggro doing it. I recommend playing Conq, 3 combos over and over with maybe breach thrown in... plus you rock in PvP.

I'm confused now like never before.

My first choice when I was installing AoC was ranger. But played lot of MMOs as a ranger and read that lvling is pretty slow here. Then I was thinking about conq, but read that is op class and half of population plays him. I played 2 healers in past, enjoyed BS very much, but would like to fresh start with new class. I have demo on 75 as well, but don't like this class. What about barb and necro? Are they wanted for end game dungs and raids as in past? is it fun to play them solo (lvling, farming)? I read that barb is extremely nerfed now.

Really first time in my life I'm confused which class I should play.
    Last edited by Carloroca; 25th October 2013 at 14:46.

DT is AA and crit gear dependent
    Once u get them Dt really shines

Dt>Guard in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Carloroca View Post
    I'm confused now like never before.
    The solution to your confusion is easy: listen to me instead of these two. Play a spear guard if you want to tank. But if you've changed your mind about tanking, don't play a spear guard and play any other class you want. They're all fine. Preferably a melee, because casters are boring as you saw with demo.

It's not because everyone got a conq that you should not roll one.
    Don't forget AoC is an old game, most players got many alts, which most likely includes a dt, a barb, a demo, and eventually a conq since its recent buff.

Because yes, everyone got a barb too.
    Back then they were one of the most OP stuff around, now they're more balanced since almost everything else got a significant buff.

Still, whatever your class, you'll have no issue whatsoever finding groups and raids, just because there are so many pugs going on.

One thing though, if you plan on playing a dps, roll a barb instead of a conq.
    I'm afraid dpsing as a conq is depressing, it's just retarded. Tanking is ok with it, but that's about it.

As for necro, if you did not like demo, you might not enjoy necro much.

I would advise to try BS, HoX and/or DT. But since you got a BS, then i would say HoX.
    About people telling you this class is weak or something, best thing to do is to ignore such comment.
    There are no weak classes, only weak players, and if you like a class, you'll learn to play it well, no matter what.

I took DT, and really enjoy this class. Good dps and survivability. Female in heavy looks brilliant. Tonight I will try tanking in Black Castle, coz never play as a tank in AoC before. Need to create group w/o high lvls, to gain experience how to tank in this game.

Thanks for all advices mates. Now I'm pretty sure that it was correct choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carloroca View Post
    I took DT, and really enjoy this class. Good dps and survivability. Female in heavy looks brilliant. Tonight I will try tanking in Black Castle, coz never play as a tank in AoC before. Need to create group w/o high lvls, to gain experience how to tank in this game.

Thanks for all advices mates. Now I'm pretty sure that it was correct choice.
    The class you enjoy is the correct choice, all tanks are viable at end game. You might find your ability to successfully tank will vary quite a lot as you level up and acquire key abilities.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast