Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Directional Shielding in PVE

Default Directional Shielding in PVE

Does directional shielding matter for me in PVE? Where should I put my shields? I heard somewhere that Ctrl+2, 2, 2 protects against crushing damage but I haven't seen this verified? Where should I have my shields in Khitai GS?

The shield directions do help in certain PvE situations, but it depends on the boss/mob and the type of damage they do.

You only need to do Ctrl+2 2, not 2 2 2 to get all your shields set to the top.

Ctrl+11 is slashing
    Ctrl+22 is crushing
    Ctrl+33 is piercing

Ctrl+44 rests your shields one on each side.
    Conqueror Mairenne ~ Guardian Isabetha ~ Dark Templar Adayna
    Ranger Annalici ~ Barbarian Cailannah ~ Assassin Kaidha
    Necromancer Laylesi, Stirmatka ~ Demonologist Mavash ~ Herald of Xotli Nebithet
    Priest of Mitra Siracus ~ Tempest of Set Millah ~ Bear Shaman Yasuyin

Quote Originally Posted by Mairenne View Post
    The shield directions do help in certain PvE situations, but it depends on the boss/mob and the type of damage they do.

You only need to do Ctrl+2 2, not 2 2 2 to get all your shields set to the top.

Ctrl+11 is slashing
    Ctrl+22 is crushing
    Ctrl+33 is piercing

Ctrl+44 rests your shields one on each side.
    oh god, not again, please.. stop spreading this nonsense to next generations

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180161

by twit: "Damage type is in no way related to directional shielding. Blunt weapons (maces, clubs etc.) deal crushing damage, swords, axes deal slashing damage and daggers and such deal piercing damage.
    As you say your shields will flash in the direction you were hit and for most PvE mobs this is fairly irrelevant but there are fights where the mobs are dumb and keep smacking you in the same place irregardless of where and if you change your shields around.

If people you're talking to actually claim damage type is related to the shields they're either trolling you or simply fairly daft."

(and make this a sticky, so it´s clear once and for all, pretty please)
    Last edited by Argantes; 13th March 2013 at 13:21.

The only encounter where directional shielding really works is Cavern of Malice, because sisters will keep hitting your right side constantly between bubble/swap phases - stacking shields turns anyone into a tank.

For the rest of the fights you can totally forget about it.

I also love when people press active blocking on magic AoE
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 13th March 2013 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    The only encounter where directional shielding really works is Cavern of Malice, because sisters will keep hitting your right side constantly between bubble/swap phases - stacking shields turns anyone into a tank.

And how about the 2nd Boss in SotW?
    Where the rocks keep falling from the cieling?
    Does setting your shields to top with ctrl + 2 2 work there or not?
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

In french version of the game, active blocking tooltip says it gives +33% protection bonus :s
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

Quote Originally Posted by HaremBunny View Post
    why would you care about it, when you can place all the casts where you want them to have (ergo not in the middle of the room). this is not rly an issue, but letting a barb/bs/ranger/whatever tank one of the sisters when there is no OT available (or just cba) can be actually of some use

Shields up for all the T1 bosses too, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by HaremBunny View Post
    Aren't you supposed to avoid those rocks?

Even if you can find some encounters (or specific attacks) where it works, it doesn't make much difference to worry about that. I tanked everything except T3,5/T4 and never used directional shielding and I don't hear tanks talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    In french version of the game, active blocking tooltip says it gives +33% protection bonus :s
    In polish version heal rating is health tap and hate decrease/increase are both synonyms of hate increase

Quote Originally Posted by TeamVernia View Post
    Shields up for all the T1 bosses too, if I remember correctly.
    Tanked all T1/T2 bosses with **** gear and without even knowing what directional shields are.

Directional shields have as much impact as thinking positively while playing or having comfortable slippers.
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 13th March 2013 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Argantes View Post
    why would you care about it, when you can place all the casts where you want them to have (ergo not in the middle of the room). this is not rly an issue, but letting a barb/bs/ranger/whatever tank one of the sisters when there is no OT available (or just cba) can be actually of some use
    Sometimes it does not work out as planned?
    Mostly when there are people in the group that have not been there ever/often.
    And I am usually on HoX, I am on the squishy side.
    Also placing them behind pillars where I want to hide when he is "Seeing Red" gets me in trouble.
    And a selfrezz can be wasted if i can't get out of the rain fast enough because of a blocked path or something like that.
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast