Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidar's DT guide

Quote Originally Posted by etrym View Post
    Theres limited choices when it comes to alternatives to VoM since it is a gold perk. If I'm not mistaken you only have 2 or 3 other choices. I believe the other somewhat usable gold perk is scarab knight altho not close to VoM.

About AA's I would say go for the protection perks, chromatic warding, decisive strikes and of course VoM. Then go for Resolve, rear guard and other useful situational perks. If pvp is your thing I guess some of the anti CC perks would be nice to get early.
    Thx - but I know. I have all protection perks, chromatic warden, decisive strikes etc. I also have VoM. Black Dragon, Wolfes, Legion, Tiger armor etc. I just look for an alternative to specc something different then VoM for maintanking T3 and khitai.

We have 4 alternativ perks: Crimson Succor, Deathlord, something with Infusion and Unwilling Sacrifice. DT gets aggro from making damage and criting as much as possible. VoM with critrating gear makes damage, damage, damage - thats why DT can generate so much aggro ... sometimes too much

My question is, how much aggro can be generated, if VoM is not perked? What alternative perk gives more aggro - more damage? Is the healing procc from infusion better than the next life leech or blood for aid combo?
    KlingenBruderschaft

The only thing viable without VoM is Crimmson Succor!
    But all the tests made by me over the last years showed clearly that DT without VoM on current Status is broken!
    The only way tanking with Crimmson Succor and Sanguine Infusion is maximazing your hate! You need to put hate an every single piece possible. After that you need to go very deep into depravity tree because you dont have the dps that helps your survive with healthtap! After all you will see that you loose too much survibility/aggro/dps to be of any use to any decent T3/T4 Raid!

Everything you can do to make DT viable Without VOM in terms of gear and specc, would just make VOM better if you switch back.

Hmm - thx for your advice. Sad that nothing else than VoM is the only playstyle for DT now.

But thanks again for your response.
    KlingenBruderschaft

Thank you for a very impressive guide, and sharing your knowledge of the most fun class in the game! :-) I hope you don't mind a few questions/feedbacks from my side.

- Any reason why you have not mentioned Black Dragon gear in your gear guide? At least the Black Dragon helm and hands are very nice.

- Not sure how much you have tested Approach of Death, and if it has been improved of late. Does low damage, 8 ppm, its only for the chance of crit you take it?

- Soul Barrier. Either it helps alot for a few seconds until your mana is burned (if you take many small hits), or it doesn't help much at all (if you take slow high hits). The one point that gives you 10% mana up to every 10 seconds (if hit by a spell), well I have 3000 mana on my DT and 30 mana per second for 1 feat point isn't all that great, in my opinion. Points better spent in Ether Reap. Worst case scenario, Soul Barrier can leave you mana drained without possibility to summon DS.

- Curse of Gwahlur. You did not mention anything about it as I could see. It's a neat 1 pointer but if I must choose between AoE stun and the CoG, I would likely take the stun. Curse of Gwahlur more often gets you in trouble than saving you from it, from my limited experience. Makes worse tanks than you have trouble with agro sharing, can be a pain in the ass on retributive damage bosses. Curse of Gwahlur doesn't crit either, so no need to have it active for VoM purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    - Not sure how much you have tested Approach of Death, and if it has been improved of late. Does low damage, 8 ppm, its only for the chance of crit you take it?
    Doesn't this also proc based on the enemies health? (75, 50, 25)
    People take it because of the extra crit chance. How effective it is can be discussed but there aren't really lots of alternatives either.

- Soul Barrier. Either it helps alot for a few seconds until your mana is burned (if you take many small hits), or it doesn't help much at all (if you take slow high hits). The one point that gives you 10% mana up to every 10 seconds (if hit by a spell), well I have 3000 mana on my DT and 30 mana per second for 1 feat point isn't all that great, in my opinion. Points better spent in Ether Reap.
    Worst case scenario, Soul Barrier can leave you mana drained without possibility to summon DS.
    You're looking at it wrong
    With 3000 mana you get 3000 extra HP when using SB. And you get to run two pots at the same time that will basically give you more hp.
    If you need to save some mana you can just turn it off, pop DS and turn it back on.
    Only time SB can leave you constantly without mana are when doing solo pve content vs multiple mobs. But in that situation you do not need to use SB all the time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    Thank you for a very impressive guide, and sharing your knowledge of the most fun class in the game! :-) I hope you don't mind a few questions/feedbacks from my side.

- Any reason why you have not mentioned Black Dragon gear in your gear guide? At least the Black Dragon helm and hands are very nice.

- Soul Barrier. Either it helps alot for a few seconds until your mana is burned (if you take many small hits), or it doesn't help much at all (if you take slow high hits). The one point that gives you 10% mana up to every 10 seconds (if hit by a spell), well I have 3000 mana on my DT and 30 mana per second for 1 feat point isn't all that great, in my opinion. Points better spent in Ether Reap. Worst case scenario, Soul Barrier can leave you mana drained without possibility to summon DS.

- Curse of Gwahlur. You did not mention anything about it as I could see. It's a neat 1 pointer but if I must choose between AoE stun and the CoG, I would likely take the stun. Curse of Gwahlur more often gets you in trouble than saving you from it, from my limited experience. Makes worse tanks than you have trouble with agro sharing, can be a pain in the ass on retributive damage bosses. Curse of Gwahlur doesn't crit either, so no need to have it active for VoM purposes.
    Aproach of death starts hitting on each CoA proc after target looses its first 25% of his HP missing(or 20% dont remember).
    It can crit, It is extra 8PPM or 11 with Improved covenants. It buff's and Gets buffed by vom, so... yeah.

Curse of gualur is a choise really, its not very relevant aggro/dmg to be a issue when aggro switching, I just like the heal I guess.

I have on very few occasions Not been able to summon Roberto el Terrible, On bosses I know have alot of attacks per minute (they drain more) I use Drain essence instead of life, and Zero issues.

I keep my Mana up all the time, and I wish I knew a parser that told you how much SB mitigates, you would be surprised, As to the 10% mana thing, Think of mana as Either HP or Roberto's train ticket Points. Either way, ''If hit by a spell'' Isnt 100% correct. Any debuff, Wrack, Dot, comming from melee hits or any type of abilities will proc it. Think about that

0.6 is up!!
    Last edited by Sidar; 27th March 2013 at 18:08.

I am so confused, I just returned to game for first time in 5 years, I have a 70 DT, I remember really loving playing him, but I cant find a noob refresher guide.

VOTE FOR STICKY PLS!!!! very useful thx to Sidar

Quote Originally Posted by Metuur View Post
    I am so confused, I just returned to game for first time in 5 years, I have a 70 DT, I remember really loving playing him, but I cant find a noob refresher guide.
    u r asking for a guide in a guide? guys like u are the reason many people who are capable of writing a guide dont do it.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast