Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a paid sub and the expansion enough?

Default Is a paid sub and the expansion enough?

Hi all. I'm a returning player - I played quite casually back at the beginning of the game when it was full of bugs and performance issues. I have resubbed now and just have a question now that the game has gone f2p:

Is a paid sub and a purchase of the expansion 'enough'? I don't approve of the f2p model and don't want to be having to pay extra money for the best gear. Do I get everything possible by paying a subscription or am I going to be missing out if I don't supplement that by purchasing from the item store? I prefer, when I play MMOs, to play in the old school fashion of a monthly sub and getting expansions as they come - rather than microtransactions etc.

Please let me know what, if anything, I could possibly miss out on playing the game in this fashion!

Cheers

There are some rare and epic armors and weapons only available through the shop as well as certain pets and vanity gear. Those are (at least on lvl80) not much relevant or powerful, but can have a big impact on low level gaming though.

Also certain "pay to win" potions and food are buyable through the store (+hit rating, +crit rating etc.), but also available ingame (to a certain amount only and as charbound drops though).

Another thing available only through the shop are the biggest bags for inventory atm and bank space expansions (expensive and charbound).

Otherwise you should do fine on 80 with premium and the expansion (access to all ingame gear and AA).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 31st March 2013 at 09:45.

Man... that is really disappointing. I had no idea so much top tier stuff would only be available by buying through the store. How much do you guess it costs to buy all of that extra stuff via the store?

Since I will be starting again at level 1 - having got to around level 50 before quitting, and now forgotten all of it - the fact that high quality low level gear is only found in the shop is not good news!

Doh. But I suppose it was necessary to keep the game going.

Thanks for the response

Low level quality gear is available in plenty in low level dungeons and epic instances.
    Join a guild that caters to low level members and you'll have no trouble.
    Storebought gear is waste of money
    You will need the khitai expanaion if you plan on progressing after lvl 80

1- If you are p2p you don't need the store, you can go raids up to T3, without the AA system, aka perks, and expansions of TURAN and KHITAI

2- if you are f2p, you get access to all 6-man dungeons and yahkmar raid (T1), but you have to farm gold and rares to buy all the gear ingame since the raid doesn't drop all the pieces but for each kill you get one token and weapon drops also

3- if you are f2p and want better gear than T1, buy the expansion TURAN and go for its T3.5 raid. you dont n3d to be premium to play on the turan arena, just need to purchase it once

4- dungeons/T4 raid and regions of the kithai expansion can only be played if you buy the expansion and be premium, but also opens the AA system

conclusion, NO NEED for the store unless you want fast gear and easy stuff, as you read, you have good options to stay as f2p for a long time, but i recomend even as f2p to buy both expansions, turan because as f2p you can always fight there and access T3.5, khitai to get access to AA system, so in future, if you want something new and more challenge, you become premium and travel khitai, house of crom, dragon spine

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicus View Post
    Man... that is really disappointing. I had no idea so much top tier stuff would only be available by buying through the store. How much do you guess it costs to buy all of that extra stuff via the store?

Since I will be starting again at level 1 - having got to around level 50 before quitting, and now forgotten all of it - the fact that high quality low level gear is only found in the shop is not good news!

Thanks for the response
    Nah. The top tier stuff isn't available through the store. It's mostly obtained through group dungeons and raids. Their are solo dungeons, but some set parts require doing group stuff. The gear in the shop is if you can't be bothered doing content really, and it ain't even that great anyway. The stats are not anything mind-bending, but it's ok. The store is handy for aa booster pots, ports, and bags and such.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.

Paid sub and Khitia expansion is plenty. You could buy Turan if you're interested in farming rares through solo play (the 2 solo dungeons that provide the most rares are in that zone). The only thing you can get in the store that you cannot get in game (that's worth getting) are the largest bags to expand your inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    (...)
    Also certain "pay to win" potions and food are buyable through the store (+hit rating, +crit rating etc.), but also available ingame (to a certain amount only and as charbound drops though).
    (...)
    You can buy these potions for rare trophys ingame, they dont only come from drops.
    I am Stian ingame...

There's nothing you need to buy from store. In fact, never buy anything if you're subbed, all shop items are worthless ripoffs (except for vanity gear and bigger bag/bank).

Turan also contains an adventure zone for 50-55 and it's awesome. And if you buy it, it'll be open even if you stop paying monthly later on (Khitai will be closed if you stop paying).

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicus View Post

Thanks for the response
    Oh, you must have misunderstood me there. The sanctum gear and other instance gear is still a valid alternative. I just pointed out the things you can get via the shop only. You can look up the shop gear as lvl1 as well and judge for yourself. Just make sure you have checked the search for lvl1-80 and "show unuseable items" too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast