Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HoX in PvE

Smile HoX in PvE

Thinking about rolling a HoX again (got one as far as lvl 60). How are they ? Good dps? below-average?

HoX is the most fun class and that is the most important thing isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantic0r3 View Post
    HoX is the most fun class and that is the most important thing isn't it?
    Indeed, fun is a big factor to keep playing a class in the long run, however if it does crappy damage compared to others that do it with way less effort... Doesn't sound fun now, does it?^^

Also I wanted to know, at high level does the HoX spend all his time in Demon form ? Or is it something to use wisely ? I'm asking this because... well I like my human form ! As far as I know there are 2 demon forms : the usual one which makes you fat and another one called Avatar of Xotli (not sure if it has another model involved or not, I can't remember).

Demon form boost your damage output significantly, but you can easily kill stuff in PvE without having it ready too. The HOX is getting some love in the one of the upcoming patches too, so go for it mate

If you want to go dungeon/raid and do comparable dps you will have to stay in demon form as much as possible^^

with the upcoming changes hox should be able to compete with all dps classes depending on encounter, obviously dt/conq outdps everyone so...whatever^^

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Demon form boost your damage output significantly, but you can easily kill stuff in PvE without having it ready too. The HOX is getting some love in the one of the upcoming patches too, so go for it mate
    Yea I think I'm going for it, I really enjoy Stygian characters and always wanted to play barbarian because I enjoyed the class but it's not available for Stygians. So I went with ranger, but well... melee & Mortal Kombat fatalities are the core of Age of Conan imho, at least for me. ^^

I also tried assassin but they're not really my stuff, plus they have no decapitation !! Those weaklings!

HoX lack the benefits of the other two mages and their range, so they may struggle to compete in some of their roles such as in 6-mans where they have to use their mage AA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall HoX being in demand for Coppice. I sometimes found that I had a hard time getting into groups for some 6-mans, though I could always get back with players that I had grouped with before.

DPS-wise they'll be able to compete if you're deep in the Avatar tree with the good mid-tier feats from Poss, especially in fights with lots of AoE. Pillars + Inferno and spreading the love with BtD can be just about top-tier in AoE damage. The fire damage is also indespensible for at least one HoC encounter, and the AoE stun which is about to become innate for the demon form is great for cc-able fights.

Really though HoX is all about having great fun and giving Stygians and Khitans a two-hander to swing around beheading enemies and setting them on fire in multiple ways. Chains is one of the best-looking skills in the game IMO, demon form is a plus in my eyes despite its bugginess, and overall it's definitely not a boring class to pump out the max dps out of, as opposed to the spell-spammy mages and priests. I don't think there's another class where you could perform a fatality and burn a person half to death before finally beheading them to put them out of their misery

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianHoX View Post
    HoX lack the benefits of the other two mages and their range, so they may struggle to compete in some of their roles such as in 6-mans where they have to use their mage AA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall HoX being in demand for Coppice. I sometimes found that I had a hard time getting into groups for some 6-mans, though I could always get back with players that I had grouped with before.
    The HoX puts out worse dps than the other mages in the following situations:

- Kiting blood void in Coppice
    - First dps window of the box in Yag
    - Kiting sputter in Nativity, Little Prince
    - Any encounter where time does not allow you to use all buffs and spells.

Except from those, there is no problem for a HOX to perform just like any other dps class. Using mage AAs wherever else but Coppice is no problem at all. A HOX can do good dps while kiting Blood Void too, but would restrict him to preload BtD and run in right after Blood Void, do it, one pillar combo, and back out again to use hfb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    The HoX puts out worse dps than the other mages in the following situations:

- Kiting blood void in Coppice
    - First dps window of the box in Yag
    - Kiting sputter in Nativity, Little Prince
    - Any encounter where time does not allow you to use all buffs and spells.

Except from those, there is no problem for a HOX to perform just like any other dps class. Using mage AAs wherever else but Coppice is no problem at all. A HOX can do good dps while kiting Blood Void too, but would restrict him to preload BtD and run in right after Blood Void, do it, one pillar combo, and back out again to use hfb.
    The problem isn't that hox is useless in Coppice, it's that pugs won't take you as a hox there usually. And Coppice drops BB shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    The problem isn't that hox is useless in Coppice, it's that pugs won't take you as a hox there usually. And Coppice drops BB shoulders.
    unluckily it's true, but you can do it with another class and relog for the box...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast