Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Options not saving - Possible Fix in Post 40?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBarb View Post
    Well I used your fix on all my chars yesterday and it worked. But now I Get the "could not connect to char server" again. and changes to clothes etc. doesn't happen on char selection screen.
    on the character that has the problem, how many chat windows do you have? Are you saying it worked for a little while then the problem came back, and then trying it again doesn't work anymore? It's awfully quick for the problem to return so quickly.

I could look into what else can be cleaned up in cases such as yours.
    Last edited by Scaevacas; 11th August 2013 at 17:01.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

Quote Originally Posted by JaKay View Post
    I couldn't get the program to work. Does it need to be in the AoC folder?
    no it doesn't. First, does the program start at all for you? If not, you might need to install .NET 4 framework (a lot of programs require those prerequisites to run) from Microsoft.

If it does run but doesn't work, it might require admin privileges in order to clean up up your XML files, I haven't tried it using a guest account. Try right click on it and run as administrator to see if that works.

Last of all, did you follow all the steps in the proper order?
    Last edited by Scaevacas; 11th August 2013 at 17:19.
    Can Devs please fix:
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Or Funcom could do the smart thing and save most of that stuff locally on our own computers.
    Funcom actually replaces your Windows.xml file (that's got your chat window settings and history) every time you log into a character with a copy they've got on their servers. That's why during step 1 of my fix, it prevents the file from being overwritten, and step 2 sets it back to normal again, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for a 2-step fix.

It is kind of nice that some settings persist when you change computers (i.e. stored on their server) but it's not being done correctly, which messes things up worse.
    Can Devs please fix:

Quote Originally Posted by Scaevacas View Post
    on the character that has the problem, how many chat windows do you have? Are you saying it worked for a little while then the problem came back, and then trying it again doesn't work anymore? It's awfully quick for the problem to return so quickly.

I could look into what else can be cleaned up in cases such as yours.
    Oh I don't have that many chat windows. Only 1 window with 5 channels in it.
    Well, it's like the problem is back as soon as I don't use your fix everytime i log a char, but as long as I'm not making changes to settings it doesn't matter. Just odd that the problem returns so quick.
    So if I have to change something, I can run your fix again and settings will be saved on any char I fix and the changes will stick even when I don't use the fix, but I do get the "failed to connect to char server" and I have to input my pass again.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

I'm guessing your chat tabs look something like

GUILD / GROUP / RAID / TELL / GLOBAL

and that you're very active in all those chats.

The same is for my guard, I have all those tabs and am active in all, so the "chat history" that gets stored in the XML file grows really quick (and too big for funcom to save, hence the error).

Yes it has returned for me too (failed to connect to character server + settings not saving again), but at least I can apply my own fix quickly now when I want things saved, just as you have found out. It sure beats deleting all the chat tabs, and the problem doesn't come back as quickly on toons that I'm not as chatty on.

It's not a permanent fix, just a much cleaner work-around than before

Whenever I apply the fix, I don't get the "failed to connect to character server" until I'm very active in chat in all chat tabs again. Are you seeing the same?
    Last edited by Scaevacas; 11th August 2013 at 21:12.
    Can Devs please fix:

I have noticed one oddity with this bug. If I log out while still in raid, it seems to log out fine, and the settings save correctly. Even on toons that it happens every time with. I don't know why though.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaevacas View Post
    I'm guessing your chat tabs look something like

GUILD / GROUP / RAID / TELL / GLOBAL

and that you're very active in all those chats.

The same is for my guard, I have all those tabs and am active in all, so the "chat history" that gets stored in the XML file grows really quick (and too big for funcom to save, hence the error).

Yes it has returned for me too (failed to connect to character server + settings not saving again), but at least I can apply my own fix quickly now when I want things saved, just as you have found out. It sure beats deleting all the chat tabs, and the problem doesn't come back as quickly on toons that I'm not as chatty on.

It's not a permanent fix, just a much cleaner work-around than before

Whenever I apply the fix, I don't get the "failed to connect to character server" until I'm very active in chat in all chat tabs again. Are you seeing the same?
    Oh yes. And I agree, your fix is nice since I can at least save my settings when I need to. The Rest is up to Funcom I guess.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Works perfectly Scaeve - nice work!
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.

I used this on two of my characters and it appears to have worked. Sounds as though I should delete the combat tab and narrow down my other tabs so the XML doesn't grow as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenic View Post
    I used this on two of my characters and it appears to have worked. Sounds as though I should delete the combat tab and narrow down my other tabs so the XML doesn't grow as fast.
    I think it only grows from what you typed, not what the game generates. The XML element that causes the problems is called "input_history", which collects what you typed.
    Can Devs please fix:

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast